From:
Steven Savitz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Savitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 2002 02:30:03 -0500

really as GF as the label
says (they use grain grasses in their probiotics).
I apologize for the summary delay.

Steve

--------------------------

I've used lots of probiotics, and they worked, but none of the
probiotic pills work as well as home-grown probiotics. If you want
soil-based organisms, there are plenty in fermented vegies, and
kefir has many, many more kinds of bacteria and yeasts (and ones
that will colonize your gut and do good things). Also the probiotic
pills are very expensive, esp. if you make your own kefir and vegies
which are very, very cheap. The pills contain probiotics that are
in a dormant form, and there aren't near as many organisms
as there are in a "live" food like kefir or kimchi.
...But, that said, the pills are easier. I never had a gluten reaction
from any of them, and they worked ok.

--------------------------

you are safe with Primal Defense, in terms of
its being gf.  However, I would caution you about thinking that you will
get
the absorption that you want from this product.  I took it for quite a
long
while and it is expensive.  I thought that I was getting the probiotic
implantation that I desperately needed, but I wasn't.  My testing showed

that the product had not worked at all.  My dr., who had been so keen on
it,
stopped advising his patients to take it, based on the fact that it did
not
help.  He started highly suggesting Natren's Healthy Trinity instead.  I

started taking it about 6-8 months ago, and it is amazing.  My friendly
bacteria levels are normal now, up from "zero" being shown on the
intestinal
lab work!!
-----------------------------

Both of my boys took it for quite some time and neither had any reaction

to it.
I was leary when I saw the package because of the ingredients.
But our physician assured me that it was gf and none of his patients had

had any problems with it.

---------------------------------

No problems so far, I've been on it for a month.

__________________

I have given
Primal Defense to my other daughter before getting a posititive
confirmation of Celiac's. It is the only thing that keeps her "regular".

___________________

I purchased one of those gluten test kits and tested the
Primal Defense and it showed it to be extremely low or gluten free. The
test kits have a range in each of 3 result categories, and that was in
the lowest/non gluten category.
.....It would make me feel better about starting it again. I did start
to feel better after taking it awhile and gained a little weight (which
I had hoped for), but then after several months had more GI problems
again. I'm suspecting it was from another cause, but would like to feel
more confident.

______________________

Well, I bit, and tried it.  And eventually it got to me.  When I went
off it
I went through the typical opioid withdrawal.  So, I believe it has
opioids
in it, presumably from some gluten somewhere.  If they test for it, and
they
don1t find any, then it is a similar compound that does similar things
in
the brain.  So, it didn't work for me.  I think the soil borne organism
did
work well, but last I checked, they wouldn't sell a product with just
those.