From:
Elaine Korngold <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Elaine Korngold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Dec 2007 09:38:56 -0800

ORIGINAL REQUEST:
> I have a celiac high school senior who marked "Special Needs" on her
> Housing application. Now she is supposed to write a letter to Housing
> describing her needs. The dorms allow refrigerators and hot pots. Most
> have no kitchens, the two that do, require an RA to unlock it every
> time.
>
> Has anyone written a good letter to college housing for a celiac
> student? Any suggestions?

SUMMARY:
 - I received lots of helpful suggestions. Thank you, everyone.  My
daughter will be going to a large state school 2 hrs away from home.
The housing assignments are made in June, so we have to wait and see.

Here is the text of the letter that the doctor sent to the university:
---
NAME has celiac disease, also known as Celiac Sprue or Gluten
Intolerance.  Celiac Disease is a medical condition which requires a
restricted diet. Celiacs cannot tolerate gluten, a protein found in
wheat, rye, barley and oats.  If any of these grains are ingested, an
autoimmune response is triggered which results in damage to the small
intestine, and ensuing medical problems.  As little as 20 parts per
million, which is a very minute amount, can set off the response.

NAME cannot eat regular breads, pastas, pastries, and many other
foods.  S/he needs to obtain gluten free substitutes for those foods.
In addition, if the foods s/he eats come into contact with
gluten-containing foods, the resulting contamination will cause NAME
to become ill.

NAME needs to have easy access to kitchen appliances including
refrigerator/freezer, microwave, toaster oven, and a stove to enable
her to prepare gluten-free meals and snacks.  S/he should also be
given access to storage space for non-perishable gluten-free food
items.
---
Here is the letter that the student sent to the University Housing:
---
I will be a freshman at the U... starting in the Fall of .... The
purpose of this letter is to inform you that I have celiac disease and
that I need food-related accommodations while I live in the dorms.

Celiac disease is a chronic, inherited, autoimmune, permanent disease,
in which the damage to the small intestine occurs every time you
consume gluten.  For more details on celiac disease refer to
www.gluten.net. The gluten-free (GF) diet is the prescribed medical
treatment for Celiac Disease.

The following grains contain gluten and ARE NOT ALLOWED under GF diet:
•	Wheat (durum, graham, semolina, kamut, spelt)
•	Rye
•	Barley
•	Oats
•	Any foods that contain these, such as triticale, soy sauce,
couscous, malt, etc.

While I am living in the dorms at the U..., I will need access to
kitchen appliances that I could use freely to prepare gluten-free
meals and snacks to supplement campus dining. Specifically, I need
access to a microwave, a toaster oven, a stove, and a
refrigerator/freezer to store my gluten-free bread (unlike regular
bread, it needs to be stored in a freezer, then toasted before use).
---