From:
Shreve Stockton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shreve Stockton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 20:30:42 -0400

My question was concerning the extent of damage done after accidentally
ingesting gluten.  I got more requests for summaries than answers, and of
the answers, they were quite varied...this must be a topic we all need more
information on.  Among the responses I got one long, lovely email which i am
sending by itself as Part 2.  Thanks to all who wrote!  Even the ones who
are new to GF too and just wanted to hear what I learned made me feel less
alone in this.

SUMMARY

I am not a doctor, but here is what i believe, based on what I have
read and heard: the impact is cumulative.  It may feel like you are as
damaged as you were before going gf, but that is because when you
eliminate gluten, your body becomes more sensitive.   You should
recover soon from your episode and continue along the healing process.

I'm sorry - but don't feel bad - I've had accidents myself - I'd love to see
a summary on this - I've often wondered the same thing.  Somehow I THINK
your body repairs quite a bit along the way and it doesn't go back to square
one with gluten ingestion.   I got pretty sick before my diagnosis - and if
I have accidents, I don't take as long to recover.   Please summarize!

I've heard several experts say that it's much worse for your system to have
repeated exposure to small amounts of gluten than it is to have a large dose
at one time.

Don't beat yourself up ---we all do this by accident....then sadly pay the
price.  I am not sure how much damage -I would like very little --just keep
doubling checking what you are eating. This is not  like starting over -just
get over the reaction -and then move on. We all learn by experience....
ingredients are consistely changing -it is hard to keep up on them all...
Hope you are feeling better......

I can't answer any of your questions. All I can do is tell you
that I have had those "OH NO" reactions when I realize too late that I did
not read a label well enough. I have been GF for 2 months and would like to
hear what the answer is.

It is cumalative, it must say pure turkey, one must ask about everything,
call toll free and not toll free no. make everything from scratch . Get
buffalo(bison)  meat it's pure some people don't care if they take chances
but........in time they will pay the price and it is a big price to pay. I
live totally on TPN.

"gluten" is not toxic to the microvilli.
the body's immune system is triggered to attack the intestinal lining.
this shows a inflammation of the crypts, the hollows between the
microvilli.  with this inflammation at the base of the microvilli, the
microvilli cease to replenish themselves.  the microvilli have a short
lifetime, so if they are not replenished the damage to them increases
over a period of 48-72 hours, and decreases again after the
inflammation subsides.

My understanding is that it takes a long time, months or years for the villi
to be destroyed......it also takes a long time for it to heal initially
after going GF. i have heard of complete healing times from months to 2
years......how long do they think you were Celiac before you were properly
diagnosed? I would not beat yourself up, just do the best you can and be
more careful next time.....you did not loose 4 months of being GF, you just
had a "blip" in the screen.

it did set you back....maybe not all the way back but back it did.
you should be taking "the formula" to heal and strengthen the gut.  This has
been mentioned several times in the past few months, but obviously you
didn't pay attention.  ((excuse me??))  take one L-glutamine capsule and one
Probiotics complex WITH EACH MEAL.   that's it.  A plain gf diet heals the
gut within 5 to 6 YEARS. this does it in six months.  so go to a health food
store and start taking the formula..  While there, get yourself some
Verratraum Alb 30c, a homeopathic remedy which stops gluten reactions.  2
pills under the tongue stops reactions instantly.

I know it is quite common to have a severe reaction to the lightest bit
of accidental ingestion after going GF. I don't think you have done the
damage that you had before going GF. Actually, having a rather severe
reaction is somewhat good, as it means you have been doing well for the
past few months. I have been trying to be GF the past 15 months. Last
Christmas I ate a Christmas cookie (just to see what would happen) and
I'll never ruin my holidays like that again!