From:
Ronan Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 22:30:30 +0100

Dear listmembers,

I am a senior medical laboratory scientist working in a micobiology lab. and
I have just completed a course on the subject of parasitology, so I feel
that I have to respond to the recent posting on the topic of parasites.

While parasitic infection can cause serious illness with various symptoms,
many of the statements made in this posting were either exaggerated or
totally untrue.  I would not like to think that any members of the coeliac
community would take them as facts without first checking for themselves.  I
found the implication that treating a parasitic infection could cure a true
intolerance of gluten such as coeliac disease particularly disturbing.

It is not true to say that medical tests for parasites are not reliable.  If
you suspect that you may have a parasitic infection, you should go to your
doctor who will order the laboratory tests appropriate for your symptoms.
There is effective treatment available which is probably cheaper than the
products mentioned.  When travelling to countries where parasitic infection
is endemic, the best preventive measure is being careful that what you eat
and drink is uncontaminated and that you don't paddle or bathe in
contaminated lakes etc.

If you need more information, there are plenty of textbooks on this topic -
I'm sure your doctor or health clinic could recommend a suitable one.  Sorry
for spending so long on a slightly off-CD topic, but I felt it was important
to answer some of the points made and my scientific hackles were raised!

Best GF wishes,
Liz (Ward), Dublin, Ireland