Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 1998 22:16:52 EST

Hi, all!
I just had to report an experience I had at a Friendly's Restaurant here in
Concord NH today.  I asked the waitress to check on the ingredients in the
soup-of-the-day.  Soon after, manager hurried over with the label torn off the
packaging of the soup, so I could check the ingredients myself.  When I told
her the modified food starch was a problem, she offered to call their "lab"
right away, since they process all their own foods.  We were informed that the
mfs was made from corn, and the soup was delicious.

Then I ordered a chicken stir fry with rice.  After 10 minutes or so, the
manager came right back, looked right at me, and said "You can't have that!"
It seems she'd checked on her own and found that the sauce had wheat in it.
They made a new batch for me without the sauce.  I was really surprised and
impressed that, once I indicated a problem with certain ingredients, they
jumped right in and ran with it.  I won't forget that in the future.  I'm sure
there wasn't complete understanding, though, since the waitress said that they
didn't want to have to call 911 if I ate the wrong thing!

There also seems to be a common misunderstanding among non-GFers that
"regular" bread is OK because it's only made with flour, not wheat!  Has
anyone else gotten that kind of remark?

Just had to pass the restaurant story along because it was so gratifying to be
taken seriously for a change instead of being looked at as though I had two
heads.

Sue Desrosiers in NH