From:
Erik Fischer-Velez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 11:04:28 -0500

I am also interested in knowing of any tests or labs that do this. I
found a "lactate-free" (very low lactose but still some) frozen
yogurt called Alpha-1 with an extremely simple list of ingredients:

  Water, Sucrose, Whey, Whey Protein Concentrate, Natural Gum, Natural
  and Artificial Flavors, active cultures.

 The only suspect ingredients here are the Gum and Natural and Artificial
Flavors.  I spoke with the NY-based manufacturer, who looked at some of the
flavorings and confirmed that they were alcohol based and contained other
possibly suspect ingredients. He said he'd be very interested in
determining whether the products were gluten-free, and offered to pay for
a laboratory analysis if I could refer him to the appropriate facilities.

 I imagine assigning the food GF status is more complicated than
just running a test, particularly since the flavoring is made by a
different manufacturer and its ingredients or ingredient sources could
change independtly. Which raises another question: does anyone with
knowledge of the food industry know of flavor manufacturers who are GF?
To make the Triple Dutch Chocolate flavor GF, a GF vanilla source would
suffice as the rest of the flavoring is cocoa.

 I have no connection with the company. I was in NYC recently and
came across the product. I am very sensitive to lactose thanks to long
untreated CD, but a small cup of Alpha-1 gave me no problems. Most frozen
desserts out there tend to be heavy on lactose or contain more obvious
sources of gluten-- I was happy to find something that seemed relatively
harmless! Now if we could just be sure...

Erik F.