Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2011 18:46:09 -0400

I am new to this group, keep up the great work! My question deals with heart palpitations and irregular beats associated with high-altitude.

My 5 year old son was just diagnosed with Celiac after 18 months of dealing with palpitations, dizzyness, fatigue and atrial heartbeat irregularities at 7,000 feet. We moved to sea level elevation and then the more clear symptoms for Celiac started to emerge (constipation, fatigue, restless leg syndrome, severe sleep apnea) and he was then diagnosed positive from both the antibody blood test and the endoscopy. Runs in my family apparently although we just called it gluten insensitivity. The healthy family members mostly ignored it while those with it suffered indigestion, fibromyalgia, sleep disorders and related symptoms quietly (sigh, never again) prior to embracing a gluten-free diet.

He just started a GF diet, and we are living at low altitude, but of course curious to see if the high altitude palpitations and heartbeat abnormalities return once we go back to high altitude (he never gets these at low altitude).

I will summarize comments from everyone, but really appreciate any stories of cardiac issues, especially palpitations and heartbeat irregularities in high-altitude, that were or were not impacted by GF lifestyle changes. There is also a good set of information on this site from previous questions related to cardiac issues with celiac. I work in the diagnostics/pharma industry, so would like to better explore the cardiac / celiac linkage, if there is one.

I have reached out to the Celiac support groups in high altitude locations with this question too -- e.g. Denver and Flagstaff. Would like to find one in Ecuador as well, or any other locations with high altitude living (airplanes don't count).

P.S. It is hard to search for "high altitude" symptoms without also digging through all the great advice about "high-altitude" cooking :)