Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 20:09:24 +0000

Call me stupid, but I never thought to ask the guy at the health-food
store what the baker was using as a thickener in his "gluten-free"
buckwheat bread. Well, I finally got round to asking him.
"Guar gum? Xanthan gum? Never 'eard of it, mate!"
It turns out he uses wheat starch. I now understand why
I was still feeling under par after so long "gluten-free". I suppose
the amount of gluten I was getting was too small to cause a small
intestine reaction, but enough to keep my other gluten symptoms -
various nervous troubles - ticking over.

So I thought it was time to try baking for myself. I have found a
wholesaler who sells guar gum in enormous quantities (25 kilos).
He may be willing to sell me a smaller amount, but I am worried about
investing in something that may not be good for me. Looking back
through my files, I have found several references to guar gum giving
problems for the more senstive digestion. What exactly are those
problems? Are they much to worry about? I don't think there are any
alternatives available to me here, and rice and buckwheat are the
only flours I can use at present. Has any one ever tried baking using
lentils, chickpeas or pumpkin? Just a thought.

Max Desorgher <[log in to unmask]>