Date:
Fri, 7 Oct 2005 16:01:14 -0500

 Thanks to all your responses - this e-mail is lengthy

The follow are excerpts from the e-mail I received concerning  Probiotic and L-Glutamine.  I have been having tingling and numbness in my left side.  For myself, I bought some of both and started taking them.  Before this I had been also having the old symptoms I had before going GF.   Thinking these might help is why I started.  I had eaten out twice in a row the week before and discovered that my $9.50 shampoo had wheat in it.  I had to stop the Probiotic first, diarrhea worsened, then I gave up on the Glutamine.  Right now I'm on a prescription drug to see if I can get better.  I do, however, plan to try again when my stomach straightened out.  One quick question, I've been having this cramping and diarrhea for about two weeks now.  Is it normal for healing to take that long after being accidentally glutened.  Would appreciate response to that question.

      I took the Probiotic and L-Glutamine for a year.  I think it did help a lot.  Now I drink Kiefer which is a natural probiotic. I am feeling great most of the time but I am very strict as to what I eat too.

    At the suggestion of my daughter who is celiac and a doctor, I began
taking acidophilus, enzymes, L-glutamine, extra magnesium/potassium and
whey protein with my Centrum silver. It made a tremendous difference in
my muscle pain

    Had tingling and numbness in my arm plus bouts of intense jabbing
pain in my leg. It all went away within about 1 year.

    I am 67 and I took the Probiotic and L-Glutamine for a year.  I think it did help a lot.  Now I drink Kiefer which is a natural probiotic. I am feeling great most of the time but I am very strict as to what I eat too.

    I've been taking the combo for my GI disturbance and it is helping. don't
know if it would help for neuropathy

    My naturopath recommended L-glutamine twice a day, digestive enzymes with  think that tingling may indicate a need for more pantothenic acid (aka Vit. B5) - it is in a lot of foods, but apparently some people excrete extra and hence need extra. It is in multi and B complex combos, but you might want to get it in a single so you can have at least 200 mg a day.

    Since going GF last year and taking supplements I have been able to
eliminate the neuropathy symptoms which included numb fingers and toes,
tingling and spasms in other body parts, and pain in my wrists and ankles.
My naturopath recommended L-glutamine twice a day, digestive enzymes with
meals, daily vitamin, calcium/magnesium daily, B12 sublingual (the good
stuff from the ND's office), B vits. 3 times/ week.

Probiotics help the body make the B vitamins it needs, so this is another route toward assuring that you are getting your vitamins and keeping your gut healthy (the probiotics also produce a fatty acid or something that is critical to gut health

    Have you doctor check for thiamine deficiency.  Most GF products are not enriched. Also, thiamine mono-nitrate (in virtually all OTC vitamins and most commercial non-g.f. products) appears to be a poor source of thiamine when compared to thiamine HCL.  Folate acid deficiency can contribute to thiamine def.

     don't know about the L-Glutamine, but the probiotics give me the same
symptoms as my other food intolerances, so I've had no luck with that

     am 67 and I took the Probiotic and L-Glutamine for a year.  I think it did help a lot.
Now I drink Kiefer which is a natural probiotic. I am feeling great most of the time but I am very strict as to what I eat too.

    I take a probiotic and L-glutamine and I've never felt better! They have healed my intestines!

    think that tingling may indicate a need for more pantothenic acid (aka Vit. B5) - it is in a lot of foods, but apparently some people excrete extra and hence need extra. It is in multi and B complex combos, but you might want to get it in a single so you can have at least 200 mg a day.
Probiotics help the body make the B vitamins it needs, so this is another route toward assuring that you are getting your vitamins and keeping your gut healthy (the probiotics also produce a fatty acid or something that is critical to gut health).

    I went to see over 6 different naturopaths and every one of them emphasized the
importance of probiotics as well as l-glutamine. I think l glutamine helps
with inflammation/healing in the bowel and the probiotics are 'good'

Helen
Nashville TN