From:
Cecilia McNeil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cecilia McNeil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2007 21:08:01 -0600

Date 12/24/04

Hi Karen,

I tested the Deland Millet Potato bread with the Elisa-tek home gluten test, and the results were "very high", which is more than can be explained by contamination. "Very high" means that the product is more than 10% gluten.

I could not believe this until I tested the bread myself, because my children have clinically gotten better while consuming 2 slices per day. I had thought it odd that my son's blood work was worse in 12/03 than it was 6 weeks after we made him gluten free in 7/02, but now I realize he hadn't had the Deland bread when we first made him gluten free--we didn't find this bread until later.

And now, of course, it makes sense that this bread was so much better than all the other gluten-free breads we tried. And Deland has removed the "gluten-free" designation from their website.

Nina

Date 02/21/07

Oh wow you just opened a can of worms with the Deland Bakery.  I'm sure you
will get a lot of response.  By the way I thought it was made with "millet".
That's what my label said last year when I bought it.  I even copied it on
my copier and I'm reading it right now.  It says nothing about spelt??

Good luck!
Lauren

My Second Post

Date 02/22/07

After my post and an e-mail to the place I bought my DeLand Bakery
Millet? Bread from I thought I should post a continuance.

I received a call from the vendor where I purchased from.  I was told
they were told by the Bakery Manager they had to put that on their
website and remove all references to Celiac.  The person I spoke with
said the Millet Bread does not contain spelt, but they were told if
their website did not contain that statement and remove references to
Celiac their supply would be cut off.

I am not naming the vendor I used on purpose until I find out what is
really going on.

After speaking with the vendor, I got to thinking about the Bakery that
was in trouble a while back for selling bread stating it was Gluten-Free
and it was not.  I do not remember the details of this.  Does anyone
have any information on this or remember this?  I told my vendor I would
see what I could find out.  Maybe the NEW Manager at DeLand is paranoid
because of this incident.  I know this is a very serious and confusing
subject and I will continue to post what I find out.
Cecilia, TX

*******
*******