From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 2010 11:02:32 -0500

I finally got an answer as to why the tortilla corn chips at Pizzeria Uno/Chicago Grill are considered not gluten-free.

I get their chili probably once a week (fabulous!), and love their Uno burgers. The pizza is o.k. And their gf menu is fairly extensive.

But the only thing that is different between their regular and gf chili is that they leave off the chips. I know that they are deep fried in contaminated oil. I got no answer when I wrote to corporate about why they just don't keep a separate bag in the gf area, so I asked the local manager. He said that the chips come uncooked and have to be fried on site.

Of course, that still doesn't stop the company from having either a dedicated fryer or from having a stash of already made corn chips at the gf station...if they wanted to. Or if they clean their oil fryer thoroughly every night, like the food place my son worked in many years ago, they could always make up a batch first thing int he morning  and leave them for the gf customers. (Maybe they make them to order. That I don't know. )

Anyway...Just sharing. I do love their gf menu and the fact that the one I go to in Maple Shade, NJ really trains their staff well. They even bring out gluten-free meals separately from the rest, so there is no chance of a crouton or something w/gluten falling off into the gf plate....or mixing up the pizzas. Although, my husband and I liked it better when the regular and gf pizzas were different shape. Now, I always ask, because they're both circles.

If it matters to anyone, maybe if more of us contact Uno's, they'll add gf chips.

Lin