From:
United Machine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 14:40:27 -0400

 The controversial "other grains"  issue came into focus during my
recent planning for a blood screening for relatives of celiacs.

I had solicited donations of GF products from a wide variety of vendors.
One supplier sent me products which contained quinoa and amaranth. This
supplier also sent  magazine articles  and other information supporting
these ingredients as GF. However, our board of directors shot down
inclusion of ready to eat samples of these products based on two
considerations:

A: That many of our members  reported "severe celiac type" reactions to
products containing quinoa.

B The controversy generated by the CSA/USA  "grains to Avoid" list.

My reading of the scientific arguments supported inclusion of these
products, but the overwhelming negative experience of many  members
argued for exclusion.

I wished to serve the products with a warning about the grains, but this
was unacceptable to the mfg. Their position was that based on taxonomy,
quinoa does not contain toxic proteins and if i had to "post warnings"
about  their products, I would have to warn people about products
containing corn or soy.

We ended up by compromising. We did not serve cookies or samples of
bread. Instead we gave the mixes away ,along with articles both in favor
and opposed to inclusion of these grains.  I think this was far more
educational to those members who made an informed choice.

Re the CSA/Usa.; Why not include a sensitivities list in addition to  a
grains to avoid list?

Dan Davis