From:
Tori Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 18:20:00 -0600

My Episcopal priest called me Wednesday to ask me if there was any other
source where he could obtain gluten-free communion hosts for me.  The 50
wafers he had ordered for me from Meyer Vogelpohl, in Cincinnati, are
almost gone, and are apparently no longer available -- they can no
longer get them from their source.  I've searched the net, and cannot
find another source.

When we joined our new church last winter, the priest inquired as to
"our situation."  I gathered he was asking what religion I was, since I
came to the communion rail with my family, for a blessing, but never
took communion.  When I explained that I had been an Episcopalian all my
life, but just couldn't have wheat, he so earnestly said "there must be
*something* we can do, that I gave him the sources I had recently found,
including Meyer Vogelpohl.  But, I also explained cross contamination
problems, separate serving pieces required, etc., and he assured me that
he could keep mine on a separate patin, touching only the patin to bless
it, and just carry the two patins at the same time.

Just two weeks later, the usher, who I did not know, asked as we
arrived, "are you the Rosses?  The minister has your wafers for
communion."  As the minister was explaining to his assistant what to do
when he left on vacation, to assure that my wafers remain "untouched by
human hands and completely separate from the others," I again thanked
him profusely, and told him it was the first time I had taken communion
in 9 years.  He almost cried!

So, imagine how disappointed we both were with this latest news of
unavailability.  And now I know that I am the only member of the
congregation that the priest can actually keep tabs on how often I come
to church by how many wafers he uses in a year!!!! ;)

Since he is retiring this summer, I hesitate to take him up on his offer
that his wife might be able to bake GF hosts for me,.... does anyone
have another source?  Thanks!

Tori Ross
Nashville, TN