From:
Bobbie Proctor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 13:16:24 -0400

Reading more on sake, I found many, many sites, none of which mentioned
the use of any grain but rice in modern sake production. Some sites were
commercial, some seemed to be independent. At this point, I would feel
safe drinking any Japanese sake. The purity of the ingredients--rice,
water and koji (the spores of  Aspergillus Oryzae* that are applied to
steamed rice) seem vital to the making of good sake.

In older generations, the sake was produced by chewing the rice, together
with chestnuts and  millet !

See:
http://gojapan.about.com/travel/gojapan/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http:=
//www.sake.com/sakehist.htm

But it is not produced like that today.

*This site offers a great description of the sake brewing process:
http://www.bento.com/drinks/sake01.html

Here is another site by the same author, with links, books, and more:
http://www.sake%2Dworld.com/

This site offers many good links for sake and other Japanese drinks:

http://gojapan.about.com/travel/gojapan/library/bldrink.htm?iam=dp&
terms=sake%2Crice%2Cferment%2Cprocess

More good sites:

http://www.sakeamerica.com/
http://www.optic.or.jp/com/kosakashuzo/kosakashuzo_e.html
http://www.sun-masamune.com.au/pp.htm
http://www.sakeusa.com/sake/handbook/handbook.html
http://www.joyofsake.com/Joyofsake/technique.html
http://www.japansake.or.jp/sake/english/02.html

I did a search using www.dogpile.com (which accesses a wide number of
search engines), and dogpile.com found the vast majority of sites using
infoseek.com (thousands), about.com (thousands), and google (281).

Cheers!

Bobbi in Baltimore