From:
Robert Weiner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 23:40:59 -0400

sorry for the delay; last month I received a dozen responses to my inquiry
regarding whether US baby formulas are GF, and experiences introducing
babies to solid food.

As usual, the responses were very helpful, and reflected a variety of
opinions and approaches.  one person noted that the CSA products listing
includes the following formulas as GF: enfamil, lactofree, gerber, next
step toddler formula, nutramigin, pregestemil, prosobee.  Another reponse
reported mead johnson formulas as GF.  Another said that all formulas are
GF.

Several people said that nursing was recommended for as long as possible;
several others said that breastmilk itself was not GF unless the mother
follows a GF diet.  It does not appear that any studies have been done;
the strongly held views on status of breastmilk are based on
interpretation of personal experience.

As for solid food, people recommended rice cereal.  One respondent said
that Heinz was GF; another said that Gerber was not (contains malt).  As
these are the only two our supermarket carries, I compared their
ingredients and found little difference (no malt in either).  Our
neighbor, who is from Spain, told us that a lot of Spanish baby food is
advertised as GF, because people there believe it is better for all babies
to avoid gluten when stasting on solid food.  A quick review of a box of
her baby food, however, revealed other ingredients that I would be
unenthusiastic about an infant consuming, starting with sugar.

The final question I asked was when to introduce gluten into a baby's
diet, since it is not possible to diagnose CD without it.  Some folks with
several kids with CD waited until 2 1/2 to check, others introduced gluten
at 1-2 years.  The common sense solution seems to be based on how strongly
the parents suspect that the baby has CD, whether one of the parents has
CD, and the ability to observe any changes in behavior that might be the
result of consuming gluten.

A strong commitment to protecting young children came through in these

Robert Weiner ([log in to unmask])
George Washington University
Washington DC 20052
202 994 5981