From:
David Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 08:51:16 -0800

>Dave,
>Interesting post because we are moving from California to London next month.
> I know where to easily get everything GF here (I'm in Los Angeles), but
>don't quite understand the concept of getting GF food from a chemist in the
>U.K.?  Can you explain it to me....

In the UK a large selection of GF pasta, biscuits, bread and flour is all
available on prescription from your doctor. Therefore, all chemists
(pharmacists) will be able to deal with it, though unless it's a very large
one they'll probably have to order it. I used to use the chemist within a
large supermarket (Tesco's) because they were open 'til 9pm at night, a rare
thing in the UK. I'd phone in what I wanted a few days before and then go in
with my prescription and pick it up. Doctor's usually have arrangements for
repeat prescriptions so that all you have to do is phone them in order to
get a new prescription for GF foods. I haven't seen any GF bread since I've
been in the US other than the Ener-G rice "brick". Prescriptions are quite
expensive individually, but you can get a yearly pre-payment which only
costs about 80 pounds and will get you free prescriptions for the year. My
recommendations for prescription GF food would be :

        Juvela High Fibre sliced gluten free bread
        Juvela High Fibre gluten free rolls
        Pastariso rice pasta (available in the US too)
        Glutafin gluten free digestive biscuits

Hope this helps

Dave.

PS: Boots will do !!