From:
Janet Wekesser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Wekesser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 18:56:30 -0700

I'm looking for a weight gain product for athletes,
but have not found anything I believe to be gluten-
free.

One product, Size-Tek Rapid Muscle Mass Stimulator,
made by Iron-Tek, says on the container that it is
gluten-free.  The ingredients include psyllium seed
husks (these are okay?), natural & artificial flavors
(the company didn't respond as to whether these are
derived from gluten containing sources) and oat fiber.

We've always been very careful about the diet, and my
daughter never eats anything that is questionable.
She was diagnosed at age 7 after years of no growth
and no weight gain.  She's almost 13 now, but it's
important that she continue to grow and gain weight
and not risk intestinal damage due to making a
mistake.
My feeling is that oats are not acceptable for the
gluten-free diet, and I don't think the physician
experts or celiac organizations have given them the
okay, partly because no source of pure uncontaminated
oats has been found.

I'm getting pressure to allow her to use the product
because of the company's statement on the container
that it's gluten-free (they wouldn't put gluten-free
on
the package if it wasn't and risk a lawsuit, right?),
and because of a message from the company left on my
answering machine saying that "believe it or not, oat
fiber doesn't contain gluten.  It's a domestic
product."

Does anyone have any experience with Size-Tek or other
similar products, or a suggestion for a gluten-free
product, either manufactured or that I could make
myself?  There has been continuous discussion about
oats both on the list and printed in other forums, but
I would also appreciate any thoughts on the oat fiber
issue.

Thanks for your input.