From:
Nancy Newlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 15:34:26 -0700

I got quite a few responses to my question about how to use
Xanthan gum in homemade salad dressings.  Several replies
were about "technique," a few were about ingredients, and a
few gave additional recipes.  I think that what I need
to do is take more TIME to put the dressing together to make
the ingredients blend more, and make larger quantities so that
I get a better result and don't have to prepare it so often.

Because of my rotation diet, I make four flavors (still
experimenting with seasoning): balsamic vinegar and
olive oil, apple cider vinegar and safflower oil, raspberry
vinegar and canola oil, and rice vinegar with regular and
toasted sesame seed oil.

Thanks to all who replied,
Nancy

TECHNIQUE

-  Patricia said:
When I use xanthan gum in salad dressing if first mix
all the dry      ingredients together (including xanthan gum).
Then I add a small amount of    water to make a paste.
Then I pour the paste into the bottle with the vinegar and oil.
Seems to work quite well.  I make quite a bit of dressing
at a time... probably about 3 cups (2 cups olive oil, 1 cup
apple cider vinegar.)  I probably use about 1/2 tsp xanthan
gum along with the other things, such as brown sugar,
mustard powder, powdered garlic, black pepper, sometimes
oregano and basil...

- Jane advised:
 I make vinaigrettes all the time but I mix my flavoring
ingredients in the bowl first, then add the oil and then the
vinegar.  This seems to cause the dressing to emulsify a bit
better (end result is a bit creamier).  If you can have any sort
of salt, pepper or herbs then put them in first (I mash a clove
of garlic with the salt first then add other flavorings), otherwise
you might want to try the xanthan gum again but
put that in first, adding the liquid to it. Hope this helps.

- Lynelle suggests shaking very well

- Sandra suggests:
Try placing the vinegar used in a small bowl, add a pinch
or two of mustard (either powder or gf ready made mustard
will work.)  Using a wire wisk, or place all in a blender,
or use a stalk blender, S L O W L Y  add in the amount of
oil needed.  By adding the oil very slowly while whisking
(or whatever way you choose) will allow the dressing to
emulsify and become thick.  Add salt, pepper and chopped
herbs to your taste.  Works everytime!

- Mary said:
A few drops of water or lemon juice help vinegar and oil
to emulsify. Also basalmic vinegar makes a thicker emulsion
than regular red wine vinegar. Another idea: begin with a
bit of powdered French's mustard, whisk a bit of
lemon juice into it and let it sit for five minutes or so so
the mustard can ripen. Then whisk quickly as you pour in
a thin stream of oil and finish with vinegar to taste, whisking
all the while. You can do more or less the same thing by
putting the ingredients into a jar and shaking vigorously.
For best results, let the mustard and lemon juice combine a bit
before you add the other stuff.

I like Dijon mustard and osmetimes begin with that, but
you have to be careful with it because it will break up into
droplets if you add oil too quickly, or use too much in
proportion to the mustard.

INGREDIENTS

-  Lyle suggested:
1. Try using balsamic vinegar - it's more expensive but it
makes a great dressing with a lovely "creamy" texture if you
whisk it well when you make it. A hand whisk is fine.
2. In a blender add a small onion (diced fine) to your usual
ingredients. That works too and it tastes great.

-  Kathryn said:
Try mixing in a little prepared mustard. It's a traditional ingredient in
Vinaigrete and for some reason helps emulsify the oil. You can find some
made with cider vinegar at the health food  store, or make your own from
mustard seeds.

- Mike said:
Try using olive oil in your oil and vinegar dressing and refrigerate to
thicken. Works for me.

- Nancy suggested:
I don't know about salad dressing, but in a book for gf cooking I
saw (and tried) substituting pectin (like for canning) for xanthum
gum and guar guam. It may work for the dressing- and you could try
a small amount. I'd use the same amount as you would the other
two.

- Karen said:
We have had good success using grape seed oil (as little as a teaspoon
to replace a portion of whatever other oil you like to use) in our salad
dressing recipes. It seems to emulsify the whole recipe. Also, grape
seed oil is one of the healthier oils you can use (like peanut & olive
oil).

RECIPES

- From Stephanie

Italian dressing is usually cooked.  Here is a recipe you might like, it
makes about 3 cups.  I got it from Eating Well cookbook, so it's lowfat (or
fat free).

2 Tbsp. cornstarch
8 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1/4 red bell pepper, minced
2 shallots, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp honey
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp minced Italian parsley
1/2 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp pepper

In a small bowl, whisk cornstarch in 1/4 cup water to dissolve .  In
saucepan, bring 1 3/4 cup water to boil.  Add cornstarch mix and whisk
until thickened and clear.  Let cool.  Stir in remaining ingredients.  Keep
in the refrigerator for several days.

- From Kathy

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, 1
minced garlic clove, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper and 1/4
teaspoon sugar