From:
Caroline Blain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Caroline Blain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 May 2005 21:46:39 -0400

Thank you for all of the replies.  I have included only comments from
members who have experience with 3D spring form pans.

The link below is a picture of the cake and the mold pieces.  The pooh is
clamped shut, placed upside down, batter poured in to the base which is
completely open and baked in that position.  It has a metal cone that is
inserted into pooh's bottom before baking that is needed to support the
weight of the head when the cake is set upright. And, no it is not design to
or possible to be baked flat and assembled.  I wish it could work that way
then I wouldn't have needed to post a query.
http://www.candylandcrafts.com/images/winniethepoohstanduppan.gif

I ended up using the same recipe (BHG's yellow cake recipe & Betty Hagman's
original rice flour mix) with the correct measurements with one extra egg.
I covered the mold with foil but the batter still streamed out but much
slower this time.  I baked at 400 instead of 375 to set the cake faster.
The once the streaming stop, I added more batter.  Once that set, I lowered
the temp to 300 and cooked double the recommended time to make sure the head
was completely baked.  The cake did not rise enough or remain lofted enough
to fill to the top of the mold.  There was about an inch of cake missing
from pooh's bottom when I went to right him. I took slices of the cake that
spilled over and braced the bottom up.  Without this bracing the body would
have dropped one inch from the head since the head rest on the cone.  The
recipe when used as a flat cake is moist and loved by gluten folks as well.
This cake due to the needs of the mold was not as fluffy and more heavy and
dense.  But, it was for toddlers who really only care about the look of the
cake and the icing.  It was a hit.

My daughter was delighted.  I have always made 3D cakes by carving the cake.
This was my first mold and the first birthday cake since we were all
dianosed.  We have lost so much that I was determined not to change this
tradition.  Plus, I love the challenge.  We turned the pooh into a dog.  Her
party was a Sparky the Dalmation party.  Will send a photo link to those who
sent a response once the photos are posted at snapfish.

Also, talked with my favorite local exec. chef about my challenges and he
feels my problems stemmed from the mold and not the gf mix.

Here are the summaries:

I do not know about the Winnie but I have baked the Thomas the Train.  I
partially baked the cake before I put it in the position the directions
suggested and closed the pan.
<>
I use Bette Hagman's formulas all the time and have no problem with them. In
the GF Makes Dessert book, there's a basic white cake formula.  I use that
one all the time and have had the best success with it. In fact, I am a
pastry chef and my company specializes in GF (and non-GF, but we have a
separate kitchen) special occasion cakes, so I've messed up anywhere and
everywhere possible in searching for the perfect formula.

The extra butter was definitely the problem; once the batter heated up, it
became super liquidy, which is why it ran through the seam.  If measured
correctly, the other flours would traditionally hold the recommended amount
of liquid.

So, try again!  Measure everything first ("mise en place," as we call it)
and THEN start mixing/combining.  After 20 billion baked goods (at least it
feels like that sometimes), I've found it's the only (almost) foolproof
method.
<>
It's possible that the thinness of the GF batter was a problem.  Or could it
be a defective mold?  One thing you could try is greasing the mold, and then
placing wax paper along the seam & for several inches in each direction.
That might reduce the leakage.  Oh, and also grease over top of the wax
paper, as well.  But it would be an experiment ...

I would think that you'd get an idea of whether or not it was doubled butter
by examining the baked "flop" for texture & flavor.  Anyway, don't throw out
the good stuff, it'll still be tasty with ice cream or jam or pudding sauce
on top.
<>
For Pooh, though, I'd suggest taking some parchment paper, cutting it a
little bigger than the mold (overlap seams) and slapping it in there with
lots of grease to hold it down.  That should seal the seams as well as make
it easier to take out.
<>
I have had great luck with GF pantry mix danielle's decadent chocolate cake
mix in wilton molds.

I used Wilton decorator'w white icing and people (non celiacs alike) raved
about them.
<>
I have not tried a mold like this since I have been gf, however, I used to
decorate cakes professionally and used them then.  I had this happen some
times with regular cake batter.  It usually was caused by the following:
The little "springs" that hold the 2 pieces of the mold together were not
used correctly or in the proper positions to hold the pans together; or the
cake batter was too watery; or there was too much batter in the mold and it
forced its way out the sides of the pan.  (If the latter, you should have
still had a usable cake by just cutting around the seal with a knife to get
the cake mold off.)

Since GF, I REALLY like to use Cause You're Special GF cake mixes (I have
never tried any but the lemon and the yellow ones, so I am not recommending
the other flavors since I do not know what they are like.)  I like these
because they bake up light and fluffy like a gluten cake and they taste
great and have great loft.  They are pricey, but I am not making many cakes
these days.  Be aware that one mix may only make a 9X9 cake.  Because of the
price, when I first bought the mix, I thought it would make a 2 layer cake.
When I got it home, I noticed that it called for a 9x9 pan.  I have heard
from others here that there is a larger size mix, but they are not carried
in my healthfood store.  The Cause You're Special cake mixes make a thick
batter that should "mold" well.  Also, bring the eggs and butter to about
room temperature before you mix the ingredients.  Allowing the cake to cool
a few mins in an open oven will help the cake retain its loft and keep it
from falling.  Good luck!
<>
sounds like you were using a bain marie/  Did you wrap the cake pan in alum
foil BEFORE baking?

I am a baker and have been gf for 15 years.  years ago, I found a tip in
Julia Child's book......use cornstarch in place of flour...cup for cup...no
gums needed.  I have been baking that way ever since.  Cakes turn out great,
they are not gritty and they taste and look great.

try your fav recipes...just use cornstarch and "butter" the pans with
Crisco....you'll be very p;eased with results.
<>