From:
Suzanne Rampton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Suzanne Rampton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 2004 13:31:09 -0500

I have searched the archives of this list about fish sauce -- and
found some references, of some time ago, saying that fish sauces are
not GF.

Yet, any fish sauce bottles I have picked up in the stores -- whether
in American or Asian markets -- do not EVER list any suspicious
ingredients.

I love to frequent Thai and Vietnamese restaurants -- and have never
really worried about fish sauce being GF -- only soy sauce (and other
sauces using soybeans or soy sauce as an ingredient).  Unfortunately,
my reactions to gluten are not immediate, and if I have a reaction,
it is more of a long-term thing -- so I have no way of knowing based
on myself.

Can anyone tell me if I am being relatively safe in the assumption
that fish sauce is OK?  And, if not, please let me know what I need
to say to the server or chef to look for on the label, other than
wheat.  I know that sometimes they bring fish sauce to the table for
dipping, and it is usually mixed up with vinegar and sugar, to make
it more palatable -- but the use of a malt-based vinegar in Asian
cuisine is unlikely, it seems, and when I've inquired, I've been told
it is rice vinegar.

Thanks much!  :-)