From:
Lucy Street <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lucy Street <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2007 08:11:40 -0400

First, a big thank you to everyone who sent me a reply!! I really appreciate it.

I got one reply for Orlando (which was OK, as I had lots of material for
there already), which mentioned the Samba Room (call ahead for reservations,
etc.). Sadly, I was not able to take them up on the recommendation.

We did go to Disney, which I was quite pleased to announce that it was just
as easy as everyone said it would be. I had my first GF hamburger that had a
bun (even pre-diagnosis I never liked having a bun on my hamburger, but I
really liked this one!)

We also went canoeing, and on our way we decided to stop for lunch at a
Greek place we past. I had an English-Greek dining card, so I talked to the
waiter when we got in and showed it to him. He thought it was really neat,
as he speaks both Greek & English (they moved from Greece 20 years ago I
believe). So after looking at the card, he took it to the back for a few
moments, came back and showed me everything on the menu I could have. Which,
incidentally, had more variety on it than many actual gluten-free menus I've
seen. The lunch menu, sadly, was entirely out (though I didn't think to ask
about having the pita sandwhich sans pita), but the dinner prices weren't
bad. And about 3/4 of the menu were OK. I had an incredible meal and really
enjoyed the time we spent there. We'll probably make it a regular place to
go whenever we visit the in-laws, as my mother in law loves greek food and
this is only 5-10 minutes from hwere they live.

Its called "Mykonos", they have a website: www.myknonoscfl.com, and their
address is 2401 West SR 434, Longwood, FL 32779. Tel: 407-788-9095, Fax:
407-788-9094. The server I had (who I'm fairly certain is either the owner
or one of hte owners) is named Val (I think its actually much longer and
less-pronounceable than that, but thats what he said everyone calls him).

As for Clemson South Carolina, I got many replies. I appreciate them all.
Sadly, I will not be able to take advantage of any of them, as I'm having
surgery for my GERD the tuesday before (I'll be sending a new email on that
shortly, as I have a few questions on it, with this being my first time in
the hostpital).

Anyway, here were the suggestions:

I live in Clemson. You can eat at these restaurants:  Calhoun
Corners, Pixie and Bill's or Seasons by the Lake at the Madren
Center. They are all a little bit upscale but can do plain meat or
fish with baked potato. We have several grocery stores:  Bloom, Bi-Lo
or Ingles. They all carry some GF food. Bloom has a particularly nice
GF section including GF bread in the freezer and Amy's GF meals.
Downtown Clemson has student friendly sandwich shops. I sometimes get
a salad at Firehouse Subs and bring my own tuna foil package. That
works well. We also have the usual fast food places including:
McDonalds, Wendy's, Burger King and Subway. I don't think you will
starve here. Please let me know if you any other questions about
Clemson. We love it here.

Clemson is a small area so eating is limited.  I eat at Taco Bell and
Wendy's but that's about it.  They do have two really nice
restaurants--Calhoun Corners and a place across from McDonald's(can't
think of the name)--and they are upscale so my guess is that you
could eat safely there.  The Madren Center, which is on the campus of
Clemson Univ., has an upscale restaurant so I'm sure you could also
eat there.  You can get decent GF food at Bi-Lo grocery stores for snacks.
Your best bet is Anderson which is 20 minutes from Clemson.  There is
an Outback, Texas Roadhouse and Sonny's Barbeque--all which have GF
menus.Also nearby is Greenville--about 45 minutes from Clemson.  It is a
large city and has several fabulous health food stores...Garner's,
Whole Foods, and another which escapes me at the moment.  On Woodruff
Road, which is where Garner's is, there is a PF Changs, and a little
further up near 385 is Lieu's Bistro.  Both have GF menus.  Even a
bit further on the other side of 385, past Sam's, is a WONDERFUL
Italian restaurant called Travinia.  They can cook basically any dish
and have GF pasta on hand all of the time.  It is my favorite and
well worth the trip.  Also on Woodruff Road is Carraba's and Bone
Fish.  They can help you easily.

In Clemson you have the normal chair restaurants either where you get off
the interstate I85 Exit either 19A or 19B.  In addition when you get off
there you can go toward Anderson where there are a ton of additional
restaurants within a few miles.  I have lived here for two years and have
had very little problem by just getting grilled food and asking the waiter.

And there was one reply saying it would have been a good idea to go and talk
to people, see who had been having symptoms for 30 years and not knowing it,
etc...it would have been. I would have liked to have gone. Ah well. Maybe
Christmas.

Thanks again!!!

~Lucy

*******