Date:
Sat, 18 Jun 2005 19:38:57 -0500

Thanks to everyone for all the responses!  The general consensus is that
most gluten free cookies work very well for a pie crust and you can
substitute directly for the amount of graham cracker crumbs in any given
recipe.  I tried it out with 1 ½ cups of ground Mi-Del Arrowroot cookies,
5 T butter, and ¼ cup sugar – baked for 10 minutes and it was excellent.

Here are some other comments and wonderful suggestions:

“I make pie crusts with Mi-Del cookies all the time.  I typically use
about 1/2 of the animal crackers and 1/2 of the ginger snaps.  Roll them
in a ziplock or run through food processor to crush.  I use a bit less
butter because there is so much butter or oil in the cookies.”

Biscotti crumbs from Mariposa Baking turn out a wonderful pie crust.  They
are a gluten-free/dairy-free crumb for the purpose of being
a substitute for graham cracker crumbs.  You can find them at:
http://www.mariposabaking.com/products/biscotti/biscotti_crumbs.html

“I used Bette Hagman's suggestion from her cookbook.  Take about 2 cups of
the MiDel cookies and put them in the food processor.  Add one eggwhite
and a little water, as needed a small amount of chopped up butter or
margarine. I just made a berry cobbler with it. Then, I crushed up some
walnuts and a little bit of the cookies for the topping. YUM!”

“I have also used various combinations including mixing different GF
cookies: homemade GF ginger snaps, or GF shortbread Pamela's or Glutano,
etc.)also, GF cereals make great crumb crusts:
Nu-World Amaranth Cinnamon Snaps are great substitutes for GF graham
cracker type crumbs. I have also mixed in almond meal, pecan meal, or
hazelnut meal or other ground nuts with fabulous success. Any one of the
above or combinations have always worked great for me.”

For a Key Lime Pie, I would use Authentic Foods Pie Crust Mix.

Look at my GF recipe collection:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages?msg=14862.2

“There is a recipe in the Summer 2005 issue of Living Without magazine
for bar cookies with the Mi-Del Arrowroot cookies. It says to pulse an
8oz. bag of the cookies in a food processor, then melt 1 stick unsalted
butter in a 9x13 baking dish. Then you sprinkle the cookie crumbs over
the butter and press down to form the bottom crust. The recipe is for
7-layer cookies and looks yummy.”