From:
Martin Fager <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 1997 10:32:58 -0500

   Perhaps someone can advise on the following?
   While reading a health food magazine's nutritional advice column, I came
   across a question from someone who sought relief from intestinal
   problems due to treatment for parasites.  The nutritionist recommended
   acidophilus, and also wrote, "...supplements of L-glutamine and
   Butyrate (Butyric Acid) may also be useful since they provide the 'food'
   for healthy intestinal villi.  Intestinal villi provide the surface area
   where all your nutrients are absorbed and need to be healthy.  It is
   possible that they were not getting the nourishment they need.  These
   supplements would also be useful for any type of inflammatory bowel
   disease as well."  These substances sound useful for celiacs.  Does
   anyone know what L-glutamine and Butyrate do for villi?  Are they worth
   taking to help restore damaged villi?  Are there other substances that
   also restore villi?  I am currently taking pancreatic enzymes, and would
   appreciate any information on this topic.
   TIA, Martin Fager  ([log in to unmask])