Date:
Sun, 22 Dec 1996 15:13:24 -0500

Hi,
I solicited one of the recipe newsgroups for a cracker recipe that
hopefully I could change.  Here is the original and my version.  The
crackers turned out excellent, (actually beyond my expectations for
an experiment!)
Dennis

CRACKERS

Homemake Crackers
Source: Elaine Hunter - Internet

This recipe has been changed to be hopefully gluten  and lactose free.  They
turned out quite good.  How close to the original recipe in texture they
are, I can't say.

Original
3       Cups Unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2     Teaspoon salt
1       Cup soft-margarine
1       Cup low-fat cottage cheese

In a large bowl, mix flour and salt.  Cut in margarine and cottage cheese
until the mixture forms a dough.  Wrap dough in wax papaer and chill for at
least 1 hour.
Roll out dough 1/8 inch thick in floured surface.  Cut into shapes with a
knife or cookie cutter.  Place on greased baking cheet and pierce with a
fork.  Bake at 450 degrees, 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.

My Version - Half of the Original recipe - Makes about 40 crackers.
1/2     Cup Sweet rice flour
1/2     Cup Rice Flour
1/2     Cup Tapioca Flour
1/4     Teaspoon salt
1/4     Teaspoon baking soda
2       Tablespoons Onion Powder
1/2     Cup soft margarine
1/2     Cup Lactose free cottage cheese

About 3  tablespoons toasted Sesame Seeds
About 2 Tablespoons course salt.

Place flours, salt, baking soda, onion powder in a bowl.  Mix well. Add
margarine and cottage cheese.  Using your hand continue mixing until a dough
forms.  Kneed a little.  Place in frig. for about 10 minutes.  Spray grease
cookie sheets.

Form 1/2-3/4 inch balls from the dough.  Place on the cookie sheet and
flatten with the bottom of a glass to between 1/8 - 1/16 inch.  Sprinkle
each cracker with some toasted sesame seeds and course salt.  Again, gently
pat the topping into the cracker.

Bake at 450 degrees for about 9-10 minutes.  Be careful.  They like to burn.
Remove crackers and place on a wire rack to cool and crisp up.