From:
JSchroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 12:24:41 -0700

Here is the letter I recieved from Tofutti today:
Please remember I am not responsible for the content therewithin.
************************************

Hi Joanna,
Thank you for your recent e-mail.  Regarding gluten, some of our
products are obviously not gluten free, such as our Cutie ice cream
sandwiches, Chocolate Cookie Crunch pint, and Tofutti cookies.  Even
though we do not add any gluten directly in our mixes, we do not certify
any of our products as being gluten free because of the manner in which
some of the flavors we use may be processed.  Vanilla, in particular, is
typically distilled with grain alcohol.  Although it is cooked off
during the distillation process, it could still leave some trace amounts
of gluten.  Since this information is proprietary to the flavor
manufacturer, we have no way of knowing for sure.  What reaction an
individual might have depends on the severity of his/her condition.

Our Better Than Cream Cheese and Sour Supreme also have no gluten added,
although, once again, alcohol could be used in the manufacture of the
flavors.  Our Veggie Soy-Cheese slices use vinegar, which may contain
traces of gluten.  Although distilled vinegar is derived from grain, it
is not certain if the vinegar contains gluten.  This is a subject of
great debate in the celiac community, but even many conservative celiacs
suspect it is probably okay since most food chemists believe that the
distillation process should eliminate traces of gluten.

I must tell you that I receive approximately ten inquiries a week about
gluten.  In most cases, those individuals are not concerned about the
flavor issue since at worst it would be only trace amounts of gluten and
their particular condition permits them to use the product, since they
are more severely dairy intolerant.  The majority of these inquiries
involve children who are autistic.  The ultimate decision to use our
products rests with you.  If you are not comfortable with the preceding
information, please do not use our products.

Given the enormous difficulty we have in ensuring that all of our
products are completely dairy free 100% of the time, the logistics in
also ensuring that they would be gluten free is probably overwhelming.
An additional problem is that unlike being dairy free, where you can
rely on an independent, outside verification (kosher supervision), no
such service exists for gluten.  We are still looking into the
possibility if such a product is viable.  At best, even if we are
successful, we would not sell the product as "gluten free," but rather
as "no gluten added," since there might always be trace amounts of
gluten.

Please feel free to contact us should you have any other questions.