From:
"Beth J. Hillson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 2003 16:19:01 -0500

Connie’s Un-Matzo Balls

Although we had success with both methods of cooking,  our best results came
from steaming the un-matzo balls and reheating them in simmering  soup
before serving.  These can be made a day ahead.

4 eggs
3 Tablespoons rendered chicken fat, softened *
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
1 cup Instant Potatoes, such as Idaho Spuds
4 Tablespoons chicken stock

* If starting with homemade chicken soup, scoop the fat from the top of
chilled soup

Beat eggs with chicken fat.  Combine salt and egg mixture to xanthan gum
and instant potatoes. Add chicken stock and chill for 20-30 minutes. Wet
hands.  Use teaspoons to help form rounded balls and drop onto a plate. (Or
use a small ice cream scoop.)

Steam balls on a steaming ring in a wok. [To make a quick steamer: Use a
large skillet that’s fitted  with a cover.  Fill skillet with about 3 inches
of water.   Bring water to a boil.  Set a clean tuna can, or English muffin
ring, in the middle of the pan. Set plate on ring and cover skillet.]  Allow
balls to steam, covered for about 20 minutes.
or
 Drop UN-matzo balls into simmering chicken soup and cook covered for 20
minutes.

I can’t take credit for this wonderful discovery – only for knowing the
ingenious cook, Connie Margolin, who came up with this formula. It’s
inspired by a recipe from Jewish Holiday Kitchen by Joan Nathan.  Use this
recipe for dumplings, too.

Hello,

Every year I promise myself that I will get organized and put together a few
Passover recipes so  we can enjoy some of the holiday traditions.  Thanks to
our customers who shared these ideas, here are some to try.  Happy Passover!

Gluten-Free Matzah  from Bev Wahl

I just got done making gluten free matzah for the first time.  It came out
great and my celiac daughter is eating it with gf horseradish (Manischevitz)
right now!  She is so happy.  Thank you for making it possible for her to
partake in this very special tradition!  She has been without it for the
last 6 years since her diagnosis.  Here is how I did it.

1 cup of the GF Pantry French Bread and Pizza Mix (no yeast)
1 egg
4 tablespoons of water

Mix ingredients it in a Kitchenaid mixer on high speed for about 20 seconds
until it formed a dough ball.
Sprinkle more mix on parchment paper and roll dough out very thin.  Pierce
it with a fork in the same pattern as regular matzah and placed it in the
preheated oven at 440 degrees on the parchment paper for 18 minutes.  Take
it out of the oven and let it cool on the paper.

This came out looking like matzah and even tasting like regular matzah.
Even my non celiac husband agreed it was great!  I hope you pass this along
to your customers as their seems to be a great need for this among the
Jewish celiac community.  Thanks for a great and versatile product!

Walnut & Orange Passover Cake

6 eggs separated
2-1/2 C. sugar
3/4 cup ground almonds
Grated rind and juice of 1 orange
2-1/2 C chopped walnuts
oil/rice flour  or almond meal to dust cake pan.

Combine egg yolks and sugar in bowl and beat until fluffy and pale yellow.
Add the
almonds, orange rind and juice, and walnuts, mixing until thoroughly
combined.  In
a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks and fold
into the
nut mixture.

Oil a 9" springform pan and dust with flour meal.  Pour in the batter and
bake in
350 degree oven for 1-1/2 hours or until toothpick inserted in the center
comes out
clean.

Beth Hillson
Gluten-Free Pantry