Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 01:20:24 -0400

Thank you to all the 20 people who responded on my question about a
gluten-free worchestershire Sauce brand & beef jerky.  Here is a summary
of the responses:

*Get the following excellent guide to Gluten-free products:
Commercial Products Listing from CSA/USA, Inc., P.
O. box 31700, Omaha, NE  68131 - cost is $8.00 including postage.  (This
guide lists Lea & Perrins, French's, & Tones Worchestershire sauce as all
being gluten-free).

*8 responded that  "Lea & Perrins" brand is gluten-free (It's the famous
one with the brown paper wrapped around it).   One person also mentioned
that Lea Perrins also makes a great BBQ sauce.  Another said that Lea &
Perrins stated to them in June 1998 that their Original Worchestershire
Sauce, White Wine Worchestershire Sauce (contains whey), Steak Sauce
(Sweet 'N Spicy, Garlic Peppercorn & HP), Barbecue Sauce (Original & Bold
& Spicy) are all gluten-free.  Their address is, Lea & Perrins,
Inc, 15-01 Pollitt Drive, Fair Lawn, N.J. 07401.  Phone  (201) 791-1600.
According to a letter one listmate received April 1996, they say they do
not add MSG but that the Hydrolyzed Veg, Protein from soy or corn
contains a very minute amount of MSG that occurs as a byproduct of the
hydolization process.  This does not include their Steak Sauce which does
not contain HVP or any other ingredient that contains MSG.

 * 3 people reported that as of May & August 1998, French's reported that
their Worcestershire Sauce is GF, as well as their mustards EXCEPT the
new HONEY MUSTARD.  Their Red Hot Buffalo Wing Hot Sauce and Red Hot
Cayenne Pepper Sauce are GF as well.  One of these listmates had checked
their "Clan Thompson Pocket Guide to Gluten Free Food and Clan Thompson
Pocket Guide to gluten Free Pharmaceutical Products" to find that
French's Worchestershire Sauce is GF.

  * The same person also wrote that they had a letter from Angostura
stating their Bitters, Worcestershire and Teriyaki are GF.

* One listmate from Rochester, NY reported finding an ostrich jerky in
her local GNC nutrition store.  It tastes great, has lower fat & no MSG.
She checked on the status and they told her it was gluten-free.   She did
not give me the brand name.  I will have to post more information on this
when I find out.  A few of you were interested in locating a GF brand of
jerky.

* (2) Make your own beef jerky:
This recipe from Montana: "I made some jerky of my own this summer for
the very same reason (to be sure it is gluten-free).  I just used some
rice vinegar, Italian seasoning, salt and fresh ground pepper.  I let it
marinate a while, drained and dried.  I also made a batch with fresh
grated ginger, garlic and fresh pepper (a sort of terriyaki).  They were
both good and since I went easy on the pepper - not overwhelmingly
peppery, which I found a pleasant switch from many of the over seasoned
commercial varieties.  And, personally - I have never been fond of
Worchestshire sauce anyway."

A recipe from Grampa Jim in Missouri:  "I haven't made it for years, but
when we made jerky, all that we would do is soak the meat in a really
strong safe [salt?] water solution for a day or so.  Sometimes we would
cut the meat into thin strips before soaking and sometimes after - I
think we finally decided we could shorten the soaking time by cutting
first. We would take the meat out of the brine, dry with paper towels
sprinkle heavily with pepper and hang on a shelf in the oven to dry.  We
had a gas oven that we could get the temp down to around 200 degrees.
Drying time depended on how thick we cut the meat.  We almost always used
jack rabbit meat, but you could probably use beef with no problem."

Thanks again to all who responded.  For those curious, I went out &
bought Lea & Perrins Worchestershire sauce and made my own beef jerky.
I was impressed with how easy it was to make.  The following is the
recipe I used.  My husband liked it.  The flavor was a bit strong for my
personal taste, so I plan to experiment some more with the ingredients or
will try one of the recipes mentioned above by other listmates.  It will
make a great snack & food to bring on trips.

                        Beef Jerkey

1 round steak

Marinade:
        1 tsp salt
        1/3 tsp garlic powder
        1/3 tsp black pepper
        1 tsp MSG  (I left this out due to sensitivity to MSG)
        1 tsp onion powder
        1/4 cup Worchestershire Sauce (such as Lea & Perrins)
        1/4 cup GF soy sauce (such as Bragg's Liquid Aminos)

Semi-freeze the steak.  Slice with the grain of the meat, 1/4 to 1/8 inch
thick strips.  Combine the marinade ingredients and marinate the steak in
the solution, refrigerated for 8-10 hours (I did this overnight).  Place
strips on a rack on a cookie sheet (I used cooling racks).  Bake at 140
degrees Farenheit for 6-8 hours.  (My gas oven would only go down to 200
degrees, but it seemed to work fine--just had to be careful not to
overcook).  Baste with sauce while baking.

Now I just need to find out the best way to store the jerky so that it
doesn't go bad . . .

Debbie
Rush, NY