From:
davemarc <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2007 13:36:28 -0500

Thanks to the people who responded to my request for restaurant/dish tips
for Northampton.

http://www.amherstarea.com/business/index.cfm/fa/showBusiness/CompanyID/1028

> Cook Farm (Ice Cream)
> http://www.cookfarm.com/flayvors/index.htm
>
> So...anything to add? All input would be welcome.

Judging from the responses, I went with dinner at Butternuts (where I had gf
chowder, a chicken entree, and two very good desserts) and ice cream at Cook
Farm (don't underestimate the vanilla, which was excellent). I tried
contacting another restaurant in advance, but didn't hear back, so my
confidence level about any other place wasn't nearly as high as it was for
Butternuts and Cook Farm, which make a very clear effort to serve people on
gluten-free diets.

On the way up from Manhattan, I stopped at the GFRAP restaurant Elizabeth's,
where I ordered gf paella for lunch and had enough left over for a dinner
later on in my trip. It's just off of Route 91, south of Hartford in Rocky
Hill.

There are currently GFRAP restaurants in the region (i.e. an Outback in
Springfield, MA) but not really in the Northampton area, even though
Butternuts seems a prime candidate.

David