From:
Pam Newbury <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pam Newbury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2015 12:45:11 -0800

I received 16 replies to my post regarding civil and open discourse about
controversial topics in the celiac community, all in agreement with my
original statement.

One person mentioned that they no longer reply to questions due to previous
unfriendly responses.

A couple of comments mentioned adding the stipulation that replies be true
and factual. While not within the scope of my original message, this is also
an important factor to consider before replying to a question. Too often I
see ill-informed answers that begin with the statement, "I think" or "It
should" or versions of the same. Always be sure that your answers are based
in science or gained by careful research and understanding of an issue from
credible and preferably professional sources. (Recently I was contacted by a
new celiac who had heard that bleach "kills" gluten. I set her straight, but
was horrified to hear that this incorrect information was being spread in
the community.)

My intent with my message is to encourage a free flow of information so we
can all learn more about topics of concern to our community. Some will hold
strong and opposing viewpoints to a subject. I value those views as long as
they are expressed in a non-confrontational and reasoned response. If a
topic makes you hot under the collar, always wait until you calm down to
respond. What you have to say can be heard and understood more clearly if
expressed in a civil manner.

Pam Newbury