From:
Vivian Aldridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 1995 14:58:16 -0800

Hi,

I am looking for recommendations for a bread maker that
is good at mixing gluten free flours (batter like
consistency) AND regular flours. If you own a
bread machine that does the following please let me
know. I will post a summary and all the people who are
interested in bread machines for gluten-free flours
will be most appreciative :)

1) Do you have a bread machine with a paddle that is the
same thickness throughout its vertical length?

2) Are the parts in your bread machine easy to clean?

3) What is the model of your machine?

I have been looking over the consumer reports article
on bread machines (Dec 1993-pg 790) but found that
the article does not specifically mention "kneading
blades (paddles)."

Bette Hagman author of More from the
Gluten Gourmet says "Before you purchase a machine,
check to be sure that the paddle at the bottom is
the same thickness for the full vertical length. The
machines with paddles that are part wand and resemble a hook
might require pre-beating outside the baking pan to
completely blend the dough, or the batter may need to
be stirred while the machine is running." (p27)

She also says "In some machines the pan and the paddle and
all the parts that touch bread are removable for easy cleaning.
This is especially important if you intend to use the machine
for gluten free and wheat breads interchangeably." (p27)

Thanks for your time!

Vivian