From:
Lauren Sarantou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 10:39:23 +0900

Hi. My name is Lauren and I have been lurking on your list for a couple
of weeks now. I have asked a couple of questions which have been kindly
responded to but I think it's time to do what I should have done ages
ago and introduce myself and my family.

I have a daughter (aged 2) and a husband (too old to mention) who are
not quite right. That sounds funny but there's no other way to describe
them. They're not exactly sick, but they're definitely not well. We
live in Japan and have found it difficult to get help in finding out
what is going on so we have taken it on ourselves to work it out.

We consulted with a naturopath in Australia who suggested that they
were either lactose intolerant, coeliac or suffering from food
intolerances. At the moment we are concentrating on my husband (he
being the worst of the two) and we'll think about my daughter after
we've sorted him out.

First, we tested stool pH and found that it was normal (pH6),
indicating it was unlikely to be lactose intolerance. Then, in
consultation with a dietician, he began an elimination diet. It took 6
weeks of brown rice, potatoes and lettuce to eliminate his symptoms
(although this diet produced loads of psychological ones instead. We
all now hate potatoes). Last week he did a milk challenge (600-800ml
each day for 3 days, 2 days rest) which produced no symptoms. Yesterday
he started a wheat challenge and encountered some problems which has
prompted me to turn to you for help and advice.

For breakfast he had pancakes (additive-free wheat flour, egg, rice
milk) and then went to the gym. He felt a bit 'burpy' when doing his
sit-ups but other than that was OK. Then for dinner he had plain
macaroni fried in some canola oil (sounds gross but he has been losing
a lot of weight so we're trying to increase his calorie intake) with
some chopped up left-over roast beef. He ate a huge meal as he was so
excited to be eating something other than potatoes and rice.

After dinner he was burping, farting (I hope that's not too blunt),
sniffing, and clearing his throat. He had a terrible night, waking up
numerous times because he felt bloated and uncomfortable. This morning
he is still really gassy and sniffy and he feels sort of 'bruised'
inside.

He is devastated that it might be wheat that is his problem and so is
looking for other answers. Could overeating have caused these symptoms?
Or could it be the amines in the meat as the small pieces had a large
surface area that was browned? Also, what does this reaction sound
like? An allergic reaction to wheat? Or does it sound like a reaction
someone with coeliac disease might have?

He is going to go back to the strict diet for a day or two and try
wheat again without meat and showing some self-control, just to make
sure, but we would appreciate any feedback on his reaction.

Thankyou, and best wishes,

lauren Sarantou