From:
Marge Johannemann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 10:50:24 -0400

Gluten, thank you for the information regarding congeners. I am sure
many of us found Dr. Kasarda's reply most interesting. Again, I will
trust the word of Don Kasarda and the organic chemists that he consulted.

I have been using distilled vinegars, grain based spirits, liqueurs and
schnapps for awhile now, and I don't pay much attention to flavorings
and colorings, natural or artificial in spirits or processed foods, with
the exception of  processed meats. I am happy to report that I have not
had any reactions.

Of course there are those of you who would say: "Well your just not that
sensitive. "Sensitivity refers to reactions one gets from ingesting
gluten. Damage to the intestine may occur whether or not one has a
"reaction". Being just a little sensitive to gluten (as far as its
effect on the intestine) is like being a little pregnant. You either are
or you aren't.

I had an upper endoscopy and small bowel interoscopy last week. My
intestine is picture perfect and the biopsies are negative. This after
six years of the gluten free diet as I practice it.

Again I add as I have before in my posts: If you don't feel comfortable
ingesting these products, then don't. The gluten free diet is a personal
thing. Do what you feel comfortable doing. Some of us may very well be
allergic to some ingredients, which has nothing to do with gluten
content.

I have emailed a large "spirits" conglomerate here in Louisville
regarding the questions and comments that have been posted on the list.
Hopefully I will get some definitive answers soon. However the questions
are answered, I will post the results to the list.

Marge in Louisville