From:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 09:09:49 -0500

Dear List:

The most wonderful aspect of this Thanksgiving for our family will be
preparing a gf feast for a dear friend and her 30-year-old son.  Their
acceptance of the invitation is a door opening onto a possible aid in
the treatment of the son's recently diagnosed ADD.  The moving part of
the story is that my son (31), newly gf (since mid-August) is recovering
from a severe bout of schizophrenia and is convinced that the diet is
central to his well-being.  He wants to show his friend that this is a
way to eat really well, not deprived, or sub-standard.

We have been able to persevere in this largely with the help of this
list.  Our cases are made complicated by the fact that no one in the
family tests positive for celiac, though we all respond to the diet.
The list of our symptoms is long, and includes severe depression,
paranoia, and so on.

More important at the moment, the menu:

1. Raw assorted vegetables with a dressing of garlic, anchovies, and
olive oil.

2. Mashed potatoes and parsnips mixed with gf margarine and lactaid.

3. Brussels sprouts with almonds.

4. Free range turkey, marinated in a spiced brine for 3 days, then
roasted with a stuffing of chestnuts, onions, apples, gf corn muffin
crumbs, turkey bacon, spices and margarine.

5. Grapefruit and avocado salad with balsamic vinegar.

6. Pumpkin pie made with a gf cookie crumb crust (I save crumbs!). The
pumpkin custard is made with fresh pumpkin, powdered goat milk, eggs,
spices, brown sugar, and candied ginger.

7. I almost forgot the cranberry sauce--homemade with fresh berries and
oranges.

We have so much to be thankful for, especially this year.  I am grateful
every day for all the help I have received from all of you and wish you
love and courage in dealing with the familial and friendly tensions over
food, especially in those cases when food is supposed to function as a
substitute for real understanding.

Nancy in nyc