Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2007 16:34:41 -0400

I just returned from vacation in Dublin, Republic of Ireland.  What a
refreshing vacation it was - most of the restaurants we went to (and we
forgot our list of places at home on the kitchen table so we just walked
in to restaurants and tried our luck) were completely familiar with
celiac.  Many even had a note on the menu saying that they could adapt
for coeliacs.  Some had gf printed next to the items on the blackboard.
All of the restaurants treated me like a valued customer, and I did not
become ill even one time.  The only times when we did not have good luck
getting served were when the waitstaff were recent immigrants with
little knowledge of English.  It was obvious right away if they did not
understand, and we moved on to another establishment.

The major museums had lovely cafeterias with excellent food, and GF
options everywhere.  Lunch was huge at these places, salmon, potatoes,
choice of 2 salads, and sometimes a chocolate roulade with whipped cream
filling - all GF.  Amazing!

We traveled with United in business class, and requested a gluten free
meal.  The meal was great.

A few noteworthy items -

At a restaurant called Cornucopia, they have a GF wrap for sandwiches
that is actually good!  It was made of carrots, zucchini, apple and
linseed, and looked like a sort of orange fruit leather, cut in a square
shape. It was quite thin, not tough, and really nice for rolling up a
salad.  It seemed to be a custom item that was made for them and we did
not see it at any other venue, but it was worth replicating, for all of
you who like to experiment.  The food at this restaurant is sort of
hippie-vegie.  Lots of chewing and lots of vegies, but that wrap thing
was an awesome break-through in GF sandwich making.

Here is their website - http://www.cornucopia.ie/menu.asp?id=4

The rock star Bono's brother has opened a place called Nude - it has
great soups that are GF.

A restaurant called "Eden" was excellent and expensive, and another one
called Ely's Wine Bar was also excellent - they use local produce and
meat.  A place called 101 Talbot was also fabulous - very busy.  And a
Nepalese restaurant that I can't remember the name of was also really fine.

There is a new baking cookbook out - Great Gluten-Free Baking by Louise
Blair.  Lots of interesting little baked goods to try in this book,
including some of the Irish specialties that we enjoyed.

I had a vacation from celiac, in a sense, in Ireland, since everywhere I
went I had a choice of foods and was treated like any other customer.
My family had a vacation from celiac too!

Alice