Date:
Sun, 26 Feb 2006 09:47:39 -0600

This is a redo from yesterday.  My original posting was 234 lines, therefore
rejected (max allowed this listserv is 220 lines).  You will see yesterday's
Petfood: Summary 02-06 #2.  The following precludes that posting.  I will
rewrite #2 since it was relatively short and add the overflow onto it.
Sorry for any confusion.

I had originally requested info regarding gluten free and corn free cat food
because of concerns for myself handling the food and the well being of my 4
darling kitties for a more natural diet.  I also made comments regarding my
Golden Retreiver's excellent response to going wheat free and gluten free -
she stopped biting herself on the forepaws, her overall coat is more glossy
and dense, her improvement of hypothyroid condition requiring a decrease in
medication; she has become almost puppy-like again.  The following is a
summary of responses I received and my comments if I have followed up or
researched further on any of them.  I got this info in December, 05 -
apologize for delay in summary but I'm a very busy woman.

-----"The Wellness Super 5 brand petfood comes in both dry and wet.  It is
human grade, whole foods, no wheat or any other allergen (also no corn
confirmed in another email from same person) in their products.  And all my
pets love the taste".  I just ordered this yesterday via online from
www.onlynaturalpet.com <http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/> .  I am trying their
6 lb. bag of wellness super5mix adult dry cat food @ $17.99 each plus
shipping (not cheap but my cats turn their nose up at the Whole Foods
stuff).  I will report how they respond.

-----"Here is a GF cat food.  I use their dog food and I am very happy with
it.  I have a dog that is allergic to wheat so she found just the right
family.  http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/cats/wellness_overview.html.  Click
on where to buy".  I think this is the same as Wellness brand which I just
sent for.

-----"I have not been able to find any corn free cat food, but we have found
Authority brand dry food that is gluten free.  We buy it at Petsmart".  I
have not confirmed Authority's contents.  I have confirmed you can buy
Authority brand at Petsmart.

-----"Whole Paws dog food is gluten free.  My dog loves it.  My cat eats
Wellness which is gluten free but her Friskie's isn't.  So, I wash my hands
after handling her food and her bowl and the water bowl.  It works".  I
haven't tried Whole Paws.  My cat's gluten laden brand of choice is Aims dry
food for hairball control which is what I am trying to improve on.

-----"I use Hills Science Diet dry foods for my cat.  They aren't corn-free,
but most, if not all, are gluten free.  Currently I'm using the hairball
light and advanced protection for seniors, and they are just fine for me to
have in the house".  I checked out Hills Science Diet website.  They look
like they are gluten free but not corn free.  Still, this is an option for
me in a pinch and probably a lot cheaper than mail-ordering.  I will be
trying this too after I see how they respond to Wellness5Super.

-----"Check out products at the Natural Pet Market.  I have not purchased
these products so I don't know what it is like.
http://www.naturalpetmarket.com <http://www.naturalpetmarket.com/> ".  I
haven't checked this out yet either.

-----"I generally use Purina One brand - I believe it does contain wheat.  I
always make sure I wash my hands well after handling their food, dishes,
etc.".  Yes, so many of them do contain wheat and so many preservatives it
makes my head spin.  This is exactly what I am trying to avoid.

-----"My cats like Science Diet Sensitive Skin Formula that I get at Pet's
Supply.  It is gluten free, but I'm not sure about the corn".  Yes, gluten
free but not corn free.  See my above comments.

-----"I've had similar problems for years.  I now buy pet food with no
obvious gluten and let them deal with it, with the occasional treat of real
tuna and beef, no additives.  My dog Chloe's alleged "flea allergy" with its
persistent raw skin on her rump, cleared up instantly when I eliminated
wheat from her diet!  Simply by accident, because I was nervous about my own
exposure to gluten containing dog food!  Whole Foods sells several good
brands of pet food; just read the ingredients carefully.  Their house brand
is pretty good.  There are also several prescription brands for sensitive
pets; my cat Spunky has multiple allergies, and eats a special diet of Royal
Canin, of Green Peas & Venison, available both dry and canned.  He was
started on G. Peas & Duck but developed a reaction to that.  Whatever, read
the ingredients, but these special diets need to be recommended by your vet.
Spunky does great on G. Peas & Venison, but as allergies tend to develop
from overexposure, I vary his diet a little now that his allergies have
settled down, with gf cat food in several flavors".  I have not checked any
of this out, never heard of this brand, need to check into it.  This brand
looks like it needs a prescription from a DVM.

End of Part #1 - see new and revised Petfood: Summary 02-06 #2