From:
Lisa Wicklund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2000 21:21:52 EST

I would like to thank many of you who replied to my inquiry regarding the
intestinal biopsy. I cannot tell you how much it meant to me

For those of you who don't know, I have been ingesting gluten accidentally
for the most of the time since being diagnosed. My recent bout was  December
18th and most of the week after. This past week has been pretty good as I
have become nuerotically preoccupied with what I can and cannot eat. You have
to with this disease. So,  there may be a chance that the biopsy would show
something. I am skeptical of this gastroenterologist because he knows so
little of the disease. However,  I am up the creek due to my insurance. I
could go out of network to Dr Murray in Rochester and pay 25% of the cost
which may help me more. I will think about that as I consider a retest. Also,
I am thinking strongly about a colonscopy because I have come through
multiple illnesses. First, a hole in my heart, second thyroid surgery with
removal of half lobe due to a large goiter, three a total hysterectomy with
complications, now finally celiac disease. I had celiac disease right after
my first thyroid biopsy.  I was fine needle biopsied in five different places
in my goiter. There was no antibiotic prep for this. If any of you or your
family has to have any biopsy done and especially thyroid, please get a round
of antibiotics before the procedure as the needle biopsy not only takes out
specimens but sends toxins into your system and can wake up a disease that
has been lying quietly for who knows how long into a full blown active state.
It may not happen to you, but it did to me and there is no sense in taking
chances. Anyway, my point about the colonscopy is that one person pointed out
that this disease can mushroom into others such as Crohns Disease, Whipples
Disease, duodenitis and others. I want make sure that is not the case since I
already experienced multiple problems. Better to be safe than sorry.

For those of you who may be curious of what ham got me sick, well, here it
goes:  Cooks. Yes, I thought it was ok, but it made me very sick. It may be
that I am very sensitive to the nitrates. I enjoy ham, but I guess it is off
the list for me regardless of whether it is gluten free or not.

I sure appreciate every one of you. Thanks so much for writing to me. Your
support, even if on line is more important to me than you realize. Happy New
year and new mellinium. May this new century be closer to finding a cause to
our disease and possibly a treatment to help us all. However, a gluten free
diet is not bad, just a little bit of a pain at times.

Lisa