Date:
Sun, 20 Mar 2005 12:19:31 EST

Hey everyone

 I recently posted a sushi summary of information I received, but it  was
lacking a lot of information.  As requested by another member, I  researched the
archives and came across a better summary. Sorry for the  confusion! Here it
is:

Here is what to be wary about sushis:
Soy sauce:  100% of restaurant ones I enquired about had  wheat

tobiko (the tiny orange fish eggs that are often used on or  in
sushi) has wheat too

vinegar:  they use asian rice vinegar in  the sticky rice, and many of them
has wheat into it:  Traditional rice  wines are made by adding wheat
mash/starch at a certain time in the process.  This used to be simply
understood, but not labeled and rice wine is not  usually distilled, so all
gluten would not be entirely consumed by the  bacteria and would still be
present even after going to a  vinegar.

wasabi:  some wasabi paste has wheat and some has  not.

pickled ginger:  the vinegar it is pickled in could be  questionnable rice
vinegar
fake crab meat.  It contains wheat.

So, here is a summary of what to be wary of in sushis:

fake crab meat
soy sauce
tobiko
rice  vinegar
wasabi
pickled ginger

So, as you can see, sushi is far from safe.