From:
Shelley Case <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shelley Case <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 14:38:50 -0600

Everyone knows that Dr's, dietitians and others need to learn more about
celiac disease and the gluten-free diet. One of my goals is to help
educate health professionals, the general public and media about the
incidence, signs and symptoms and diagnosis of gluten intolerance,
nutritional concerns and practical aspects of the gf diet.

I am pleased to share with you some exciting activities and initiatives:

TODAY'S DIETITIAN MAGAZINE
A two part series entitled "The New Celiac Disease" and "Gluten-Free
Guidance" written by Shelley Case, RD and Cindy Kaplan from Enjoy Life
Foods was featured in the February and March 2003 issues. Response to
the articles has been extremely positive. For example, the Director of
the Florida Dietetic Association (4000 members) saw the articles and
said this hot topic needs to be presented at their annual conference in
Naples. I'm delighted to have been asked to speak on July 15 and will
also have an exhibit booth providing gluten-free resources and selling
my book "Gluten-Free Diet: A Comprehensive Resource Guide". Check out
www.glutenfreediet.ca for more information about the book.
The November 2002 issue included a review of my book and Danna Korn's
book "Wheat-Free, Worry Free" and Carol Fenster's "Gluten-Free 101" were
promoted in the March 2003 issue.

NUTRITION IN COMPLEMENTARY CARE PRACTICE GROUP
The American Dietetic Association has a variety of specialty groups and
the Winter 2002 newsletter included my article "Celiac Disease and the
Gluten-Free Diet: What Every Nutrition Professional Needs to Know".

NUTRITION ENTREPRENEURS PRACTICE GROUP
This ADA group is made up of dietitians who work in a variety of
settings. Some consult for food or drug companies, provide individual
counseling, write for magazines and appear regularly in the media. The
Spring 2003 newsletter featured an interview with me about the
"Gluten-Free Diet: A Comprehensive Resource Guide". My book was also
included in the Book Review section.

SULLY'S LIVING WITHOUT MAGAZINE
Watch for my article on nutrition and the gluten-free diet in the Fall
issue.

PRACTICAL GASTROENTEROLOGY JOURNAL
Gastroenterologists across the US can read my article on Celiac Disease
and the Gluten-Free Diet this fall. I will keep you posted on the
specific article name, date and page number of the journal once it is
printed.

ATLANTA WOMEN'S MEDICAL ALLIANCE
Jeannie Zibrida, RD from Prometheus Labs and Dr. Cynthia Rudert
organized a conference for Dr's, RD's and RN's on celiac disease,
osteoporosis and allergies. I gave 2 presentations: one on the
gluten-free diet and another on food allergies. Dr. Rudert did an
excellent lecture on celiac disease. Gluten-Free foods were featured at
the break and Prometheus Labs had diagnostic screening information.
Evaluations were very positive and they want to do another event next year.

ADA LIST SERVE
I sent an email summarizing the new Dr. Fasano study in the Feb. 10
Archives of Internal Medicine along with the link to the study and
further celiac resources. Received emails from many RD's saying they
needed this information, as they are getting more people with celiac
disease referred to them!

CONFERENCES ON CELIAC DISEASE
I will be speaking at the following conferences:

April 5: Canadian Celiac Association Regional Conference in Cambridge,
Ontario with Bette Hagman, Claudia Crangle and Dr. Duerksen.

April 29: Dietitians of Canada Regional Conference on Celiac Disease via
teleconference.

May 9-11: Dietitians of Canada Conference on Celiac Disease in Kamloops,
BC in conjunction with the Canadian Celiac Association Annual Conference.

June 6-8: Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG) Annual Conference and the
Colorado Dietetic Association Continuing Education Program on Celiac
Disease.

June 13-14: Columbia University Celiac Disease Conference for
Dietitians, New York.

July 15: Florida Dietetic Association Annual Conference, Naples.

PRAYING FOR PEACE AND MAY GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Shelley Case, B. Sc., RD
Case Nutrition Consulting, www.glutenfreediet.ca
<http://www.glutenfreediet.ca>
Author: Gluten Free Diet: A Comprehensive Resource Guide
Co-Author: Celiac Section, Manual of Clinical Dietetics, American
Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada
Medical Advisory Board: Celiac Disease Foundation, Gluten Intolerance
Group, Canadian Celiac Association
Advisory Board: Gluten-Free Living Magazine and Sully's Living Without
Magazine
EMail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>