Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 02:06:07 -0600

>Excuse me, but this is confusing.  I called Arrowhead Mills after Karen's
>post and asked WHY the corn puffs were not GF.  The rep stated that while
>only corn is used in the product, it is puffed by another company and since
>Arrowhead Mills has no control over the machine, they will not guarantee
>that it is GF.  She did not state that it was definitely not GF.
>
>From my experience with health food store reps, they are not reliable.  Has
>anyone else contacted Arrowhead Mills directly and asked WHY?

I called yesterday and this morning a woman named Linda left
a message on my machine. She said it was her understanding that
there had been some confusion about the corn puffs.  She said
basically the same thing  -- they are made offsite, so they cannot
guarantee its GF status ... but that no glutenous products were
made in the CornPuff Complex [sorry, my tongue is stuck in
my cheek]  so it "should" be okay but that  there was no guarantee ...
and that she was not sure why there was confusion.

<snort>  I left a message for her this afternoon, explaining why
we were confused [or, at least, why *I* was confused] and asked
that she call back. No word yet.

I do hope we get some kind of clarification. I have eaten the corn
puffs and have not had any gastric reaction. However, I've got
these incredibly teeny itchy spots on my face ... is it possible
my reaction to gluten would shift over time? from gut to skin?
They look nothing like those jpgs on celiac.com  ... just
pin-head size white blips  ... argh. <scratch><scratch> ...

I'm looking forward to the day when I stop whining [honking,
snorting, sniffing and scratching]  here and can actually
be of help to other folks. Thanks tons everyone, this is
a lifesaver.

Tracey in Connecticut   GF lodging:  http://www.innseekers.com/feature.htm