From:
LIZ DECLEENE <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
LIZ DECLEENE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 2009 15:17:43 -0600

Girl Scout cookie sales always makes me a bit envious so I decided to work on gluten-free copies of the best selling cookies.  Here is a recipe for Gluten-Free Samoa Bars. (I will post Thin Mints and Do-si-dos at www.therubyrange.com. They can be made into cookies but they are way to time consuming - I will send you that recipe if you want.

Gluten-Free Samoas Bars

Shortbread Cookie
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups Gluten-Free flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
First, make the crust.

Preheat oven to 350F.

Line a 9×13-inch baking pan with parchment paper.

Cream sugar and butter together until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla extract. On low, slowly beat in flour, baking powder and salt until mixture is crumbly, like wet sand. Press an even layer of crumbly dough into prepared pan.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, until base is set and edges are lightly browned. Cool completely on a wire rack before topping.

Topping
3 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
12-oz good-quality chewy caramels
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp milk
10 oz. dark or semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 300.

Toast coconut on a parchment lined pan for 20 minutes stirring every few minutes.  Cool stirring a few times.

In a microwave melt unwrapped caramels in a bowl with milk and salt.  This can be done on the stove using a double boiler.  In the microwave it will take 3 – 4 minutes for caramels to melt, longer on the stove.  When smooth, fold in toasted coconut with a spatula.

Spread this mixture onto the baked cookie layer.  Star by putting dollops of caramel mixture on the top then smoothing it with a spatula.  Cool.  Cut into 30 bars.

Melt chocolate in the microwave or double boiler.  Dip the cookie bottoms in the chocolate then drizzle chocolate over the tops.

*******
*******