From:
A & L Sherlock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 22:43:39 -0600

Hi, it looks like my daughter is not alone in this one.  I am sorry I forgot
to put my daughter's age, she is eight years old but also has down syndrome
so developmentally she is most likely around a 4 or 5 year old.  Ever since
she went on the diet in the summer she is an extremist in eating only what
she should.  She always waits for me to say if something is okay to eat she
will not even let her Dad tell her only if Dad says Mom said it was okay
will she eat the food.  She always asks me when we go out if I brought
'her' food so I am pretty confident about her not taking something by
accident.  I am wondering if sometime over Christmas maybe I was not as
careful as I should have been and she had eaten some hidden gluten.  I
really don't know what her reaction to gluten is yet.

Here were some of the suggestions.

Metamucil (we have done this)

Swiss Kriss laxative

Fibre rich food - carrots, dried fruit, prunes , choppped nuts, grapes,
popcorn, ripe papaya, apples etc (the diet is low in fibre)

One person told me the constipation in CD is related to Sjogren's syndrome -
lymphocytes attack body's moisture producing glands

pineapple juice (this was a good suggestion for me because it is something
my daughter likes)

some people said she might still healing from going gluten free
make time for bathroom time (I actually have to reminder to go most of the
time)

a couple of people did say it was a reaction to gluten and usually started
two or three days after eating gluten and then continued for about 4-6 weeks
take her off dairy (if it continues I will try this next)

check other food allergies

drink lots of water

constipation can be a sign of lead poisoning (check your houses)

monitor intake of corn

Thanks for all your help.  We did go back and used senokot  mixed with juice
twice a day (this what always seemed to help prior to going gf)  and seemed
to clear things up for those few days.    We will see what the next couple
of weeks bring.  Thanks for all the suggestions and I am sure we and some
other people will be trying a few of them.

Lorna