From:
Chris Woodcock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 08:00:13 EST

I have received many replies from all you great listmates regarding gluten
free summer camps!  They are still coming in and if there is more, I'll update
this post.  However, so many have asked for information I thought I'd get out
an initial reply now.

Seems there are camps as follows:
Hungary - no other info

Calgary: run by the Calgary chapter of the Canadian Celiac Association. The
camp is about 15 miles west of Calgary, on the Bow River. #7-11 Street N.E.,
Calgary Alberta T2E 4Z2

Vashon Island Washington:  Camp Sealth on Vashon Island in Washington State.
Camp Sealth and GIG have worked together in previous years to provide a
wonderful camping experience for celiac children in 2nd through 12th grades.
The celiac children will be incorporated into cabins and programs with all
other campers.  They'll have a normal camping experience, with the added
security of knowing their diet will be followed carefully.  Cynthia Kupper,
GIG's CEO and a registered dietitian, along with a staff of volunteers, will
go to camp as cooks, to oversee the special diet needs of our celiac
children; and will be well-equipped to handle other special diet needs.  For
more information, call GIG at 206-246-6652 or send them e-mail at

North Dakota:  Camp of the Cross invites children who have completed grades
3-6 to participate in their regular program, which for the week of July
25-30, 1999 will provide food specifically tailored to celiac dietary needs.
All campers, whether they need this special diet or not, will eat the same
meals prepared by their knowledgeable food service coordinator, who has the
same dietary needs.  This will be done so no one will be singled out as
"different".  Camp of the Cross is a Lutheran Outdoor Ministry which seeks to
communicate God's love for everyone.  All are welcome regardless of race,
creed, gender, or special needs.  The camp is located where the rolling hills
of the prairie meet Lake Sakakawea, a part of the historically significant
Missouri River system.  Activities include playing games, arts and crafts,
swimming, canoeing, sailing, Bible study, hiking, worship, campfires, and
seeing more stars than you could ever have imagined.  All of this will be
done in a cabin group of about seven other people the same age in addition to
a college-age counselor.  Reservations are on a first-come, first-served
basis until the camp is full.  For more information, write to either Beth
Fahlstrom, 3024 Manitoba Lane, Bismarck, ND 58501; or Camp of the Cross,
1228A 47th Avenue NW, Garrison, ND 58540.  You can also send e-mail inquiries
to [log in to unmask]

Thanks again to all that replied !!

Chris Woodcock
Wayland, MA