Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 2004 11:13:06 +1030

WOW, what a great find. I tried the recipe and these things are great.

Thank you for all the responses (25 so far). Descriptions of popovers varied slightly, but mainly they were described as similar to Yorkshire puddings; muffin like with an eggy flavour; similar to choux pastry

There are special popover pans to use, and one respondent very kindly sent me the following information with a couple of links so I could see what they look like.

A pop-over is a baked egg dish. Non-gf ones are just flour, salt, eggs, milk, and butter. You bake them mixture in a custard cup or a special popover pan that has four narrow, deep cups welded together in a frame. You pour the egg mixture into the preheated cup, put it in a very hot oven, and bake. As it rises, it "pops" up--leaving a big airy hole inside a crust for the addition of butter or jam when eating.

For a picture of popover pans, go to
<http://www.kitchenemporium.com/info/06popover_pan.html> or
<http://www.wdrake.com/shop/product.cfm?icat_item_num=14514&sc=ub1225a&AID=10273933&PID=673632>
I used ordinary muffin pans which are wider and not so deep, but were still very successful.

Below is a very enthusiastic response with lots of good ideas of how to make the most of the batter.

 I LOVE popovers!  I eat them fresh from the oven with butter as a "dinner roll".  I also use them for a "fancy sandwich".  I also use them as a type of cream puff, just slice tops off and fill with pudding, whipped cream, fruit, ice cream, etc.
  To make a Puff Pastry, I also sometimes take the entire amount of "dough" and spread it on a baking sheet.  I spread it until it's about 1/2 inch thick, maybe 8 by 12 inches or so.  Make some swirls with a spoon, to create some rounded high spots. I bake it at 375 degrees for about 40 to 45 minutes. If it doesn't rise at all, next time bake at a higher temperature.  When it comes out of the oven, it will fall a bit.  I use a small amount of glaze on it while hot from oven, with confectioners sugar, vanilla, and milk.  Sometimes I use a bit of food color to make a pastel colored icing, pink is really pretty on this.  All you need is just a bit to drizzle over it.  I then grate finely over the icing before it sets, some pecans or walnuts.  A mouli type grater works good for this.  My aunt used to make this years ago, and I was thrilled to find that the GF version is as good as the old version.  The only difference I notice is that sometimes the rice flour doesn't quite mix in as smoothly.  This is a very satisfying and easy dessert.

And more ideas...

I grew up in New England where popovers are served like dinner
rolls.  Typically this is with a roast beef dinner or roasted chicken type dinner.  I guess what I am trying to say they were a special occasion food and typically served with a meat and potatoes kind of meal.

I have used the Bette Hagman recipe and they are easy to make and quite good.  I have also used them for dessert as a cream puff.  I put Ice cream inside and chocolate sauce on top

....popovers are wonderful! We have them with soup, for brekkie, they're like a yorkshire pudding with air inside instead of the pudding part. They sort of have the texture of cream puff cases when they cook properly. You can also use them as a base to use for filling with chicken al la king or shrimp newburgh, or whatever. I use the James Beard recipe with substituting Bette Hagman's four flour mix for the wheat flour. They  come out pretty close to the real thing. The real ones get REALLY big, the GF ones aren't quite as big, but just as tasty.

A handy hint is NOT to open the oven during baking as they may collapse.

Quite a few people asked for the recipe, so here it is, thanks to Bette Hagman.