From:
Kate Chan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 20:13:37 EST

Thanks to the responses!  I feel confident to drive the 2, 400 to our new
home this summer!  (For those who asked - we are moving from Chicago to
Olympia, WA.).  Among the dozens of emails I received, there were so many
tips and ideas, I can't begin to enumerate them here - so I will give some
general ideas generated:

1.  Always carry an ice cooler filled with goodies:  cheese, vegies, cooked
rice, meats, GF bread, mayo, GF waffles for a toaster/toaster oven, etc.

2.  Stop for hot food wherever you can to break up the trip:  try Wendy's
chili or baked potatoes, etc.

3.  Bring your breadmaker - plug it in at the hotel or campsite and make some
fresh bread!

4.  Post your itinerary on the list - let people know where you plan to be -
and let them help you find local markets/GF food places to eat along the way!

5.    Get you a dishpan and fill it with paper plates, cups, bowls, plastic
silverware, a roll of paper towels, salt, pepper, dishsoap,  matches,
napkins, a small tablecloth, a dish cloth and a dish towel, garbage bags,
etc., then you always have something to eat on and something to do any dirty
dishes.

6.  If you are going to stay in hotels, pack a pressure cooker, toaster,
electric frying pan, etc.  Make meals at the hotel and pack them up for the
rest of the day - or at least have a hot breakfast!

7.  Be sure to ask for a refrigerator if you are staying at a hotel.

8.  Fresh fruit!

9.  Dinty Moore Beef Stew, marshmellows, etc. - all easy camping foods.
Check the CSA food guide first and then off you go!

10.  Think about getting a cooler that plugs in to the cigarette lighter
instead of one with ice.  If not, use blocks of ice instead of bags of
pieces/cubes.  Cover the cooler with a blanket to keep it out of the sun &
cool!

THANK YOU ALL!  Now.... if only I could psyched myself up for the leg cramps
from sitting in the car.... LOL.

Kate