From:
Barbara Jean Kuehl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 1995 14:53:36 -0500

>Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on the incidence of alcoholism
>in celiac/gluten-intolerant families?

I read something about this recently but do not have the reference
handy.  At any rate, I remember wondering why this link might be
plausible.  The best explanation I could come up with (this is not
medical advice nor even research-based but merely my theory) is that
alcohol, being absorbed through the stomach wall rather than the
intestine, would provide a fast and available source of carbohydrates
for the celiac and would suffice even when the celiac's intestinal
villi are in a state of disease.

Remember, this is just a theory.  Any other theories are just as
probable.

 -BJ