From:
Jeannine Webb <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeannine Webb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 22:25:22 -0500

I had about 8 replies to my original question.  The following is my
question followed by the replies I received

Does anyone know if Dysrhythmia is more common among people that have
celiac disease.  Also, I would like to hear from anyone that has
Dysrythmia and if the GF diet helped your Dysrythmia.

I too have dysrythmia. It's frightening isn't it?  I now have to take
metroplol twice a day.
     My physician could not give me a reason for this sudden onset, I wore
the ekg holter for a day and found that I was in fact having a dangerous
amount of pvc's per minute.
     I often wonder if the ingestion of gluten, even in very small amounts
is causing this, but have no proof of my theory.
   Good luck with your response

I had a mild but recurring dysrythmia a few years ago. My first
"doctor"
passed it off as absolutely nothing. I learned later, after my real
doctor tested me for thyroid problems, that I have mild Hypothyroidism.
Now that I have been on Synthroid for two years, I have never
experienced it again. Thyroid imbalances are common in Celiacs.

I didn't know what it was so I tried looking it up...You do need an extra
h in it--Dysrhythmia. Could that be the same as "palpitations"?  If so,
you might want to check out this email regarding thyroid problems,
specifically "(heart palpitations, anxiety, diarrhea, and weight loss)..."

Yes, I believe it is.  I know with me it was considered a symptom.  I
am pretty sure it states it as a symptom in the books I have on celiac
disease too.  Yes, my went away totally for a while and just every so
often is it a problem.  Good luck.

I have had arrhythmia of the heart in the past which seems to come and go
depending on my sensitivity to other foods besides gluten.  I don't know
if that is the same as dysrythmia.
  I am wondering if the term is rather disrhythmia although I have never
seen or heard the term but "dis" is often used in medical terminology to
mean "unusual".

Hi- if that word means heart
rhythm irregularity, then yes, absolutely.  Celiac
causes malabsorbtion and that means you're not getting
the all the normal chemicals in the normal amounts. If
you're gf and still having this, have your
electrolytes (potassium, sodium, etc) checked.  If
you're not completely gf (eg. eating out) you know
what you need to do.  Good luck!