From:
Joan McLean <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joan McLean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 2012 19:50:54 -0500

Thanks  to everyone (especially Maureen) who responded to my request for GF options in Portugal and Spain.  Here are the responses:

Websites:
http://glutenfreetraveller.com/topics-2/travel-adventures/gluten-free-lisbon/
http://www.triumphdining.com/blog/2011/01/19/la-vida-delicioso-gluten-free-spain/
Look at the "Donde Comer" section on the left: http://www.celiacossevilla.org/subtema.asp?t=24&st=198

Gluten-Free Restaurants of Seville

Gluten intolerant people are called "celiacos" in Spain. When going to these restaurants, identify yourself as a celiaco so that the waiter or manager can identify what you can eat. Some dishes will be prepared especially for you.
1. La Mandragora
Calle Albuhera, 11
Tel: 954-220-184
2. Restaurante Rio Grande
Calle Betis, S/N
Tel: 954-273-956
3. Meson Puerta Caleta
Calle Camilo Jose Cela, Manzana 1 (Edificio Viapol)
Tel: 954-641-078
4. Restaurante Habanita
Calle Golfo, 3
Tel: 606-716-456
5. Restaurante San Marco
Calle Betis, 68
Tel: 954-280-310
6. Supermarket
El Corte Inglés, Plaza del Duque - Has a range of gluten-free products inluding all the basics.
Soravito S.l.
C/ Valparaíso, 13, 41013 Sevilla, Spain
+34 954 23 51 17  ‎
I was also happy to learn that most of the supermarkets in Sevilla – especially those run by Mercadona – test all of their store brands for gluten. Anything that’s safe is marked clearly “Sin Gluten”:
Of course, there are also plenty of delicious fresh items at the local markets. Avoid the ire of the stall-keepers by pointing to what you want instead of reaching to grab it yourself.

GLUTEN FREE IN SPAIN (GENERAL)
Welcome to Spain! We hope we can make your visit as pleasant as possible.
WHERE TO BUY GLUTEN-FREE PRODUCTS
The Spanish gluten free products are marked with the mention: "SIN GLUTEN" and you will find them in:
•    Health food shops ("Herbolarios")
You can find gluten-free products such as bread, cookies, flours or pasta in health food shops called "HERBOLARIOS". You can find these products nationwide, although it can be hard to find a health food shop in the small places. Please click here for more information on places to buy gluten free products.
If you are going to stay for a short time in Spain, we recommend you to bring some gluten free products with you.
•    Pharmacies
Some pharmacies have started to sell gluten free products, but the choice of products is usually better at health food shops (herbolarios).
•    Supermarkets
A range of gluten-free products can be bought in the following supermarkets:
o    Alcampo
o    Carrefour
o    El Corte Inglés
o    Hipercor
o    Mercadona
o    Sabeco
The gluten-free food available does vary but you should be able to find bread, biscuits, flour, pasta and cakes in these supermarkets. In these shops the products are usually found in the dietary departments.
SPANISH GLUTEN FREE FOOD LIST
This guide provides a list of products that you can find in shops, supermarkets, discount stores, and so on, which do not contain gluten and which, according to the producers' standard guidelines, have not been contaminated at any stage of their production by gluten.
It also provides a list of Gluten-free products on sale at in health food shops called "HERBOLARIOS" and in the supermarkets listed previously.
You can order a copy of the list by calling our Helpline on +34 91 7130147, by fax +34 91 7258059 or by e-mail: [log in to unmask]
STAYING AT, AND EATING IN, HOTELS
When planning your holiday, if staying in a hotel, or other establishment where you will be catered for, you will need to ask if they are able to provide for a gluten-free diet. When you arrive at your hotel check again with reception, and at your first meal, with the head waiter.
Many of the larger hotels prefer to discuss, and may ask you to decide in advance, which dishes from the menu can be made gluten-free. Please click here for more information on places to stay.