From:
terry croteau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 11:56:13 -0600

Hi All,
Well I received a lot of responses to my question as to the differnece
between potato flour, potato starch and potato starch flour, several others
also were unsure of "difference" (seems I am in good company) :)

Overall the most constant reply :
Potato starch and Potato starch flour are the same thing!

Therefore some bags will be labelled  "Potato Starch" and some labelled
"Potato Starch Flour" ... the key word is "starch"

Potato starch/potato starch flour
*potato starch is the evaporated product of cooked potatoes .
*made from the starchy part of the potato
*the starch is saved and dehydrated from cooked potatoes
*from BH.PSF is a fine white flour with a bland taste, excellent for baking
when combined with other flours.
*is only starch

The end product , when using potato starch/potato starch flour will be
lighter and have an airy texture.

Potato Flour:
*contains starch and protein
*is the actual crushed potato
*is made from the whole potato (fiber/skins included)
* BH ..Do not confuse "Potato flour" with Potato starch/potato starch flour!
This (PF) is a  heavy flour with a definate potato taste!
*Potato flour is strong and less useful.
*thicker, yellowish, seldom used in recipes, more difficult to work with.

 The end product , when baking with Potato flour tends to be grainy and course.
 a heavy denser end product

 * was noted that a Potato flour listed potato starch as the only ingredient.
 * also one type of potato starch flour , found in an Asian market had only
   one ingredient listed : Corn ???
 I guess there is always an "exception" to any thing.

Many thanks to all who responded, I have gained immense knowledge in regards
to gluten since joining this list.
You have all made this new journey much more confusing and I have met so
many wonderful people .
Bless you all!
have a great day!
Debi, In Alberta Canada