From:
Jane Ehrenfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 1996 16:14:10 -0500

On Sun, 4 Feb 1996, Ingrid G wrote:

> I have been trying to make a white roux for making lassagne, and I used a
> mixture of sticky rice  flour and tapioca (along with the milk, egg,
> margarine, etc.).  The texture was a little slimy, and it was difficult to
> get the lumps out.  When I was still eating wheat I knew how to make a
> perfect white sauce.  Has anybody out there had any success with gf flours?

I use the white sauce recipe in The Joy of Cooking.  I substitute white
rice flour (the regular kind, not the sweet rice flour) for the flour in
the first step of browning the flour in the melted butter (except that I
use margarine).  Remember that 7/8 of a cup of rice flour equals 1 cup
regular flour and adjust your rice flour accordingly.  For example, if the
recipe calls for 3 T. of flour, I would use 2 rounded T.  Just keep
stirring the flour for about 2 to 3 minutes and add the liquid gradually
-- don't worry too much about lumps, they will cook out eventually as the
sauce comes up to a boil.  Just keep stirring, a wooden spoon or spatula
tends to work better than a whisk.  I have found that cool or cold liquid
tends to make fewer lumps.

Jane (in VA)