From:
goalieootttaA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 1997 12:32:04 -0800

Hi all,

I have received an immense number of posts concerning ER visits after
ingesting gluten.  I will summarize the symptoms and am now asking for info
on what DR's suggested or did for you when you were in ER.  I should have
asked this is the first place (apologies), so if you have already emailed
me please feel free to add those details-plus the success of the
treatments.  I have gotten some suggestions on 'kits' to carry with you
which I will pass on.  My GI suggested a half tsp of baking soda in water
to stop the nausea but the reports I am getting from people suggest a range
of reactions many of which I doubt baking soda would eliminate.  I am also
getting a lot of posts of increasing reactivity to gluten after a long
period on the GF diet.  I attribute this to increased gut permeability with
a GF diet, that gluten is a toxin to us, and that once your gut has started
to heal (and gluten can then be better absorbed and have an effect as
opposed to when your gut was flattened, literally, and not much was being
absorbed of anything), it takes tinier amounts of gluten to set off a
reaction.  This is just my own pet theory but I would be interested in any
thoughts from the list DR's and members as to the viability of this
proposition.  I really apprecaite all of the input and think that it points
to some issues in going to ER that need to be dealt with.

Thanks for the info, keep it coming and I will put it together,
Lissy

ps) thanks for the info on Gino's study, I think that we can incorporate
all of this